The Appointments Module is the heart of the dental practice. From here you can see the appointments for the day or week at a glance, and easily manage and schedule appointments.
Also see Webinars.
The Appointments module shows the appointments for the current day or week. Change the day/week using the calendar.
Day or Week view: Set using the radio buttons under the calendar. Set a default in Appointments Module Preferences.
- Day: Grid will be divided into operatories.
- Week: Grid will be divided into seven days (Monday through Sunday). The appointments will appear narrow, so hovering over the appointment to view bubble popups may be useful. Move appointments within the current week by dragging and dropping, or use the pinboard.
View: Appointment Views determine the operatories and providers that show and the information that shows in an appointment. It also determines the default start time when Open Dental is first opened.
- Click the dropdown to change views or press an associated function keys across the top of your keyboard.
- The default appointment view when a user logs on will be the same view active when the user last logged out.
When Clinics is turned on, the appointment views are associated with specific clinics. Changing the clinic in the main menu will change the appointment view options and the appointment view. The default view when a user logs on is based on several settings.
Time: Use the vertical scrollbar to move through the entire 24 hour day. The time increment is a global setting. See Setting the Time Increment.
- The default start time is determined by the selected appointment view. It can be a set time or dynamically start at the earliest appointment or provider time.
- Current time is indicated by a horizontal time line that automatically moves down every minute. Customize the line color in Appointment Module Preferences.
- Vertical Time Bars show as color-coded visuals of appointment length and provider time.
Operatories: Define operatory names, colors, and order in Operatory Setup.
- Click on a operatory header to view the default provider's name and specialty, the name of scheduled providers, their time blocks, and note, and any note for the selected clinic.
- Right click on an open time block in the operatory to add, edit, or clear Blockouts.
- Right click on an open time block in the operatory to run the Update Provs on Future Appts Tool. This tool will update the providers on future appointments to the operatory's providers. Useful when operatory providers have been changed.
Colors: By default, white areas indicate open times, grey indicates closed times (see Schedule Setup). To change colors (open/close times, provider colors, notifications, etc.) see Customizing the Appointment Schedule.
Appointments: Basic appointment details show in an appointment box. Double click the box to open the Edit Appointment Window or right click to select more options. Every appointment has a second optional provider for hygiene so that only one appointment has to be made even if a patient is technically seeing two providers.
- Depending on your preferences, appointment details may pop up when you hover over the appointment. To customize the appointment bubble, see Display Fields.
- As appointments are set complete, they are greyed out by default.
- Broken appointments are marked with an X.
- To move an appointment, simply click and drag it to a different time, day (in Weekly view), or to the pinboard.
- Copy to Pinboard: Copy the appointment to the pinboard.
- Send the appointment to the Unscheduled List.
- Break Appointment: Break an appointment. See Breaking Appointments.
- Mark as ASAP: Mark the appointment as ASAP and add it to the ASAP List.
- Set Complete: Set the appointment complete. See Setting Appointments Complete.
- Delete: Delete the appointment. See Deleting Appointments.
- Other Appointments: View all appointments for the selected patient and family members. See Appointment History.
- Print Label: Print single appointment reminder Labels.
- Print Card/Print Card for Entire Family: Print a future appointment reminder postcard for a single patient or family.
- Routing Slips: Print Routing Slips.
- Go To Ortho Chart: Open the Ortho Chart for the selected patient. Only shows when information exists in the Ortho Chart or this option is enabled in Ortho Setup. Customize the text that shows in Ortho Chart Setup.
- Call Home Phone: Click to call the home phone for the selected patient. Requires an additional service. See DentalTek Bridge.
- Call Wireless Phone: Click to call the wireless phone for the selected patient. Requires an additional service. See DentalTek Bridge.
- Send Text: Send a text message. Opens a blank text message window. See Sending a General Text Message.
- Send Confirmation Text: Send a text message using the default confirmation message. See Confirmation List Setup.
Three clickable icons show above the calendar.
Generate Appointment Lists (Recall List, Confirmation List, Planned Appointment Tracker, Unscheduled List, ASAP List, Radiology Order List, Insurance Verification List).
Print a list of appointments that you can post in areas where you do not have monitors. The current setting for Day or Week view will determine if a daily or weekly list is printed. Time increments and rows per increment set in appointment views can affect printing. If too many pages are still printing, increase the time increment or set the rows per increment to one.
- Start / Stop Time: Enter specific times to include in the list.
- Operatories per page: Directly affect how many pages will print. More operatories per page will result in less printed pages.
- Font Size: Affects how many pages will print.
- Preview: Review the print output.
- Save: Save settings for the next time you print.
- Print: Print the schedule.
Print Routing Slips: Print routing slips for appointments on the schedule for the selected day. Not available if Headquarters is the selected clinic, or if Week view is selected.
- All for Day: Print all routing slips for the selected day and clinic.
- Current View Only: Print routing slips for the selected appointment view.
Rapid Call: If the DentalTek Rapid Call Bridge is enabled, launches the Rapid Call application. Otherwise, opens the DentalTek Rapid Call website.
The day or week currently selected lists above the calendar. Today's date is surrounded by a square. Click on a date to quickly jump to the day/week in the schedule.
- Change the day: Click on the new date, or click the blue arrows to jump back/forward one day.
- Change the week: Click the blue W arrows to jump back/forward one week.
- Change the month: Click the arrows to the left/right of the month to jump back/forward one month at a time, or click the blue M arrows below the calendar.
- Change the year: Single click on the month header (e.g. September 2013), then single click on the year to show a 12 year grid.
- Today: Jump to today's date.
Pinboard and Searching for Openings
The Pinboard can be used for easy scheduling between days or weeks. Drag or send appointments to the pinboard, then drag onto the schedule. You can also search for openings.
Lab Cases: Indicates the status of lab cases for the selected date. If clinics is turned on, only the status of lab cases attached to appointments scheduled in the selected clinic's operatories, for the selected date will show. If Headquarters is the selected clinic, the status of all lab cases attached to appointments scheduled in all operatories for the selected date is shown (including those not associated with a clinic). See Dental Lab Cases.
Daily Prod: View the daily production sum. Production must be added to the appointment view in order to view a value. Also see Production Totals.
- By default, the value reflects the daily production sum for all procedures attached to appointments for providers whose bars show in the appointment view. To instead calculate the sum for all procedures scheduled in operatories that show in the appointment view, check Appointment module production use operatories in Appointment Module Preferences.
- To also calculate adjustments in the net production total, see Appointment Module Preferences, Add daily adjustments to net production.
- If the gross and net amounts are the same, only one number shows.
- If you see two numbers, the first number is the gross (sum) of the procedure fees. The second number is the net after subtracting all write-offs and write-off estimates.
- Write-offs will be used when viewing dates in the past; estimates will be used when viewing current or future dates.
Daily Goal: View the total daily production goal for all scheduled providers in the appointment view. The value is calculated using the hourly production goals for each scheduled provider, as entered on the Edit Provider Window. Production must be added to the appointment view.
Action Buttons: Show to the left of the list of confirmation statuses. Quickly send an appointment to the Unscheduled List, break it, set it complete, or delete it.
Confirmation Status: Quickly change an Appointment Confirmation Status. The option is grayed out if the user does not have the ApptConfirmStatusEdit security permission. Some statuses trigger Time Arrived, Time Seated, and Time Dismissed values, which affect the waiting room. Status options can be customized in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.
Make Appt: Schedule an appointment.
- If this is an appointment for a new patient, or the patient has only completed appointments, the Edit Appointment Window will display.
- If the patient has scheduled, broken, unscheduled, or planned appointments, the patient's appointment history will open so you can check appointment history before scheduling.
Make Recall: Schedule the patient's next Recall Appointment. Patient must be due for a special recall type, meaning a special trigger procedure has been completed. Otherwise, a message will indicate no recall is due.
- If the patient has a scheduled appointment, or an appointment on the Unscheduled List, the patient's appointment history will open. Otherwise the appointment is copied to the pinboard.
- When copied to the pinboard, if the treating provider is scheduled in an operatory, and if in Day view, the calendar will jump to the recall due date or the next date that has an availability for the appointment length. It does not automatically search for availability if in Week view.
- Custom recalls that are not a special recall type cannot be scheduled using Make Recall, UNLESS the patient is also due for a special recall type. If so, then Make Recall will schedule one recall appointment for all recalls due. If the patient is only due for a custom recall type, click Make Appt to schedule.
Fam Recall: Schedule recall appointments for all family members. Similar behavior as Make Recall.
View Pat Appts: View the patient's appointment history and family recall information.
Waiting: See Waiting Room.
Emp: View scheduled hours for employees for the selected day. Only employees scheduled in the selected clinic are listed. Double click anywhere in the grid to edit the schedule.
Prov: View scheduled hours for providers for the selected day. Only providers scheduled in the selected clinic are listed. Double click anywhere in the grid to edit the schedule.
Reminders: View all Task Reminders for the logged on user that are due for the current day, ordered by date and time. Reminders will only show here through the end of the current day. An asterisk appears in the reminders tab when there are reminders for the current day.