The pinboard is a useful tool for moving or scheduling appointments.
In the Appointments Module, on the right under the calendar, is the Pinboard area.
To schedule an appointment, simply send appointments to the pinboard, select a different day or week, then drag the appointment to the new date/time. There are several ways to send appointments to the pinboard:
- Drag an existing appointment from the appointment schedule to the pinboard.
- When viewing Patient Appointments, click Copy to Pinboard. Or, double-click the planned appointment in the Appointments for Patient grid and click Pinboard.
- From the Recall List, click Sched Family or Sched Patient.
- From a Planned Appointment, click Copy To Pinboard.
Multiple appointments can be on the pinboard at one time.
Clear: Click to empty the pinboard and return any existing appointments to their originally scheduled time.
Advanced: Open the Advanced Appointment Search window. See Advanced Search section below for more information.
Search: Click to open the Openings in View search dialogue. See Openings in View section below for more information.
Openings in View
If the schedule is booked out for more than a few days, manually searching for a slot can be time consuming. Instead, easily search for available openings.
Note: Schedules must be set up for the search to work, as search results show openings for scheduled providers in the selected appointment view.
Place the appointment on the pinboard and click Search
Openings in View: The first available time slots will show for each of the next ten available dates. See Search Behavior at the bottom of this page for additional information on which openings are considered.
- Time slots in blockouts that do not allow appointment scheduling are not included in the results. See Blockouts.
- If a user is restricted to a clinic, search results will only appear for openings in the clinic the user has access to.
More: Click to see the next ten results. Click on any date to jump to it in the schedule.
Date / Time Restrictions: Enter criteria to limit the available openings considered.
- After (Date): Click the dropdown to select a date from a calendar.
- Before / After (Time): Enter the time restriction to search. Entering both a before time and an after time searches for openings between the two times. For example, enter Before 4:00 pm and After 12:00 pm to return openings from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, if available.
Providers (List): Providers currently considered in search results. By default, lists the provider currently assigned to the appointment. If scheduling a Recall appointment, the provider listed by default will be the selected patient's preferred provider in the Edit Patient Information window. If only a secondary provider is assigned, they will be listed; if no secondary provider is assigned, the primary provider will be listed.
Providers...: Click to select specific providers to include in search. Ctrl + click to select multiple providers.
Search by: Click a button to update the Providers list.
- Providers: Click to update Providers list to all providers not marked secondary (i.e., Dentists) with Time Bars in the selected Appointment View.
- Hygienists: Click to update Providers list to all providers marked secondary (i.e., Hygienists) with Time Bars in the selected Appointment View.
Search: Click to update Openings in View based on the selected search criteria.
Once a suitable date is found, drag the appointment off the pinboard and to the preferred appointment time slot.
Close: Click to close the appointment search dialogue.
To search for an available appointment based on additional qualifiers, place an appointment on the pinboard and click Advanced.
Search Results: Lists up to 15 available appointment dates meeting the search filters. There may be additional openings on a specific date; only the first available time slot is listed for each date. Click a date to quickly jump to that date.
Quick Search: Click a button to quickly select providers.
- Providers: Click to select all Providers not marked Secondary Provider (see Edit Provider).
- Hygienists: Click to select all hygienists (providers marked Secondary Provider).
More: Click to see the next 15 available dates.
Search: Click to update search results after changing filters. At least one provider or blockout type must be selected to search.
Filters: Enter criteria for available appointments dates.
- From / To (Date): Click the dropdown to select a date from the calendar or type a date to search. Only openings within the selected date range will be displayed in Search Results.
- Starting before / after (Time): Enter the time restriction to search. Entering both a before time and an after time searches for openings between the two times.
- Providers: Click the dropdown or [...] to select providers to include in search.
- Blockout: Select the Blockout Types to search. Blockout types with the usage Block appointments scheduling will not appear in the dropdown list. If blockouts are selected, search results will be limited to only availability within the selected blockouts.
- Clinic: Select the clinic to search. Selectable clinics will be restricted based on the current user restrictions, if any.
- Appt View: Only available when the clinic is set to Unassigned. Select an appointment view to search.
The Search Behavior Preference will affect what openings appear in the list.
- If set to ProviderTime: The search considers the provider's scheduled availability (Schedule Setup) and available provider time (indicated by the time bar at the left of the appointment schedule). Blockouts are not considered. For example, if the provider is scheduled from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM each day, and there is a one-hour appointment scheduled in their operatory at 8:30 AM, but the provider time bar indicates the provider will be in the room at 9:00 AM, when searching for an opening for a one-hour appointment, 8:00 AM will be considered available.
- If set to ProviderTimeOperatory: The search will consider already scheduled appointments and Block appointments scheduling blockouts in the provider's scheduled operatory. For example, if the provider is scheduled from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and a one-hour appointment is scheduled at 8:30 AM, the first available opening considered will be 9:30 AM.