In the Automated Messaging window, double-click an automated messaging rule.
Rules determine the timing and messages that go out on automated messages. The title of this window varies depending on which Automated Messaging feature is being edited. Double-click an existing rule to edit, or click one of the following buttons to add a new rule for the corresponding feature.
- Add eReminder
- Add eConfirmation
- Add Auto Thank-You
- Add Patient Portal Invite (Before Appointment)
- Add Arrival
- Add Patient Portal Invite (After Appointment)
- Add General Message
Enable the Rule
Enabled: Determines if the selected rule is currently active. Rules can be enabled and disabled as needed, without having to recreate them.
- Checked: The selected rule is enabled and active.
- Unchecked: The selected rule is disabled.
Reminder Rule Type: Displays the type of Rule you are currently editing.
Set time preferences for sending the message.
- Days / Hours: Set when the message should be sent.
- eReminders, eConfirmations: Set how far in advance the message is sent. Entering 0 for both days and hours will disable the rule without deleting it.
- Automated Thank-Yous: Set how long after the appointment is created, in hours or days, the Thank-You should be sent. Setting the send time to 0 will send the message shortly after an appointment is created, but it can cause multiple Thank-You's to send out if the appointment is deleted, recreated or moved to a different time slot after scheduling.
- Arrivals: Set how far in advance of the appointment the Arrival should be sent. The default is 3 hours.
- Patient Portal Invite (before appointment): Set how far in advance of the appointment to send the invite.
- Patient Portal Invite (after appointment): Set how long after the appointment to send the invite.
- General Message: Set how long after the appointment the message is sent. Setting the send time to 0 will send the message shortly after an appointment is set complete.
- Do not send within ____ of appointment: Control whether or not messages are sent for short notice appointments (e.g. same day appointments).
- eReminders, eConfirmations: When values are entered, messages will not be sent when the upcoming appointment time falls within the time period. If both Days and Hours are blank, reminders may be sent up to the appointment time.
- Automated Thank-Yous: When values are entered, Thank-Yous will not be sent when the upcoming appointment time falls within the time period.
- Arrivals: When values are entered, Arrivals will not be sent when the upcoming appointment time falls within the time period. If both Days and Hours are blank, Arrivals may be sent up to the appointment time.
- Patient Portal Invite (before appointment): When values are entered, invites will not be sent if the upcoming appointment falls within the time period.
- This setting is not available for General Messages or Patient Portal Invites (after appointment).
- The automated eServices schedule also affects send time. See eServices Misc.
- eConfirmations will not be sent for appointments created same day
Select how the message will be sent to patients.
- Contact Methods: Set a specific delivery method order. The method listed first will be attempted first. If unsuccessful, the second method will be attempted. If that is unsuccessful, the third method will be attempted. Highlight a method, then click the up/down arrows to reorder it. Options include:
- Preferred Confirm Method: Use the patient's preferred confirmation method to send the message. If Work Phone is selected the program will move to the next send method (Text or Email). See Edit Patient Information.
- Text: Send text messages.
- For Arrivals, Text is the only available option.
- Email: Send email messages.
- For Patient Portal Invites, Email is the only available option.
- Send All: Check to send via all available options. This option is hidden for Arrivals or Patient Portal Invites.
The default tab displays messages in the default language. When other languages are added, additional tabs display.
- Text Message: The message sent on text messages.
- Email Subject and Body: The first text box is for the subject line. The second text box is for the body of the emails.
- Edit: Click to insert HTML Email formatting to the email body.
Template Replacement Tags: Insert replacement tags to automatically insert certain information. Options vary depending on the Rule Type. Available options list at the bottom of the Edit Rule window.
- [AddToCalendar]: Used for Automated Thank-You messages. Allows patient to add the appointment to the calendar on their device. When added to a device, the office name and address in included.
- [ApptDate]: The date of the appointment.
- [ApptTime]: The start time of the appointment.
- [ApptTimeAskedArrive]: The time the patient is asked to arrive (Time Ask to Arrive).
- [ClinicName]: The name of the clinic (Clinic).
- [ClinicPhone]: The phone number of the clinic.
- [ConfirmCode]: The included short code C in an integrated text message for the appointment that is being confirmed. Example: Reply [ConfirmCode] to confirm = Reply C to confirm. When a patient texts back the C, the appointment confirmation status will change to the Accepted status. If a patient has an additional appointment and receives a confirmation before their original appointment is complete, the corresponding [ConfirmCode] would then become "C2," where the number correlates to the number of appointment. The patient must only reply with the confirm code. Any additional text will cause Open Dental not to recognize the response.
- [NameF]: Patient's preferred name. If no preferred name, uses first name.
- [Password]: Patient Portal password. Only available for Patient Portal Invites.
- [PatientPortalURL]: The URL to Patient Portal. Only available for Patient Portal Invites.
- [PracticeName]: The practice name (Practice Setup).
- [PracticePhone]: The practice phone number.
- [Premed]: Include a premedicate reminder for patient marked as Premedicate. Only available for eReminders. Set custom message in Automated Messaging Advanced Settings.
- [ProvAbbr]: The abbreviation for the provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- [ProvName]: The provider the appointment is scheduled with.
- [Username]: The patient's username for Patient Portal. Only available for Patient Portal Invites.
- Delete: Delete this rule entirely.
- Advanced: Edit the text for aggregated messages. See Advanced Settings below.
- Add Language: Add additional languages to send messages in. See Add Language below.
- OK: Click to save settings.
- Cancel: Click to leave the window without saving.
When one or more appointments on the same day share a common patient email address and/or wireless phone number, the associated messages will be grouped together into one long text message or email.
In the Edit Rule window, click Advanced.
Note: If using language translations, language tabs will display at the top. Ensure the correct language is selected before editing.
Template Replacement Tags: A list of valid template replacement tags that can be used to insert data from the database into the message.
Tabs: Tabs vary depending on the Rule Type selected.
- Email Templates: Edit the email text sent for aggregated messages.
- Aggregated Email Subject: Enter the email heading.
- Aggregated Email Template: Edit the email body as needed.
- Aggregated Email Template Per Appointment:
- SMS Templates: Edit the message sent on texts.
- Aggregated SMS Template Per Appointment
- Aggregated SMS Template
- Arrival Templates: Only available for Arrivals
- Arrival SMS Response Template
- Come in SMS Message Template
Create and send messages in the patient's preferred language.
In the Edit Rule window, click Add Language. Select the language from the dropdown. Language options can be created and edited in Miscellaneous Setup.
When a language is added, you will see the new language tab.
Select the language tab and manually type in the translated message. When a patient has this language selected as their preferred language in the Edit Patient Information window, the translated message will be used.
The language will send based off the following criteria:
- If only one patient in a family has an appointment that day, that patient's preferred language is used.
- If multiple family members have an appointment that day, including the guarantor, the guarantor's preferred language is used.
- If multiple family members have an appointment that day, but not the guarantor, and the patient's preferred language is the same, the preferred language is used.
- If multiple family members have an appointment that day, but not the guarantor, and the patients have different preferred languages, whichever patient is listed first, is the preferred language used.
To remove a language, click Remove Language.
What if I update the Send Time on an existing rule?
Existing appointments that have already been sent a message may receive another message once the eServices window is saved.