eReminders is an eService that sends automated text message and/or email reminders about upcoming appointments. They are intended to be sent a short time before an appointment so patients don't forget to come.
- Create eReminder Rules and select other options. Rules determine when and how an eReminder is sent, and the reminder message.
- Activate the eReminder service.
Webinar: Automated Messages: eReminders and eConfirmations
To send eReminders, the eConnector must already be installed. See eConnector
for easy installation steps.
Create eReminder Rules
eReminder rules determine when reminders are sent, the delivery method, and the message text.
Note: When there are multiple clinics, you can create default rules that are used by all or some clinics, or different rules for each clinic. Automation can also be turned on/off per clinic.
- In the Main Menu, click eServices, eReminders.
- Select the clinic and any clinic-specific settings.
- To create default rules, select Defaults as the clinic, then create the rules.
- To apply default rules to a clinic, select the clinic, then check Use Defaults.
- To create clinic-specific rules, select the clinic, uncheck Use Defaults, then create the rules.
- To turn on/off automation by clinic, select the clinic, then check/uncheck Enable Automation for Clinic.
- Click Add Reminder or double click an existing rule to edit.
- Enable: By default this is checked, meaning the reminder rule is turned on and active. Uncheck to disable the reminder.
- Send Time: Set time preferences for sending the message.
- Days / Hours: Set how far in advance of the appointment, in hours or days, the eReminder should be sent. Entering 0 for both days and hours will disable the rule without deleting it.
- Do not send within ____ of appointment: Control whether or not messages are sent for short notice appointments (e.g. same day appointments). When values are entered for Days / Hours, eReminders will not be sent when the upcoming appointment time falls within the time period. If both Days and Hours are blank, reminders may be sent up to the appointment time.
The automated eServices schedule also affects send time. See eServices Setup Miscellaneous Tab
. If a reminder is scheduled to be sent before the automated eServices start time, the Do not send
value is ignored.
- Send Order: Select how the eReminders will be sent.
- Check Send All to send via text message and email, if patient has both options.
- Or, set a specific delivery method order. The method listed first will be attempted first. If unsuccessful, the second method will be attempted. If that is unsuccessful, the third method will be attempted. Highlight a method, then click the up/down arrows to reorder it. Options include:
- Preferred Confirm Method: Use the patient's preferred confirmation method to send the message. See Edit Patient Information Window.
- Text: Send text messages.
- Email: Send email messages.
To send text messages, sign up for Integrated Texting. To send emails, set up Email.
- Customize the eReminder text and email message.
- Click OK to save the rule.
We recommend testing the rule and message prior to sending. Make sure you meet character limitations, that replacement tags work, and that the message appears as intended.
Note: When a new appointments is created and the send time for some rules have already passed, the rule closest to the appointment date/time will be used. Example: There are two rules: 7 day and 3 day. A new appointment is created 2 days from now. The 3 day rule will be used since it is closest.
When one or more appointments on the same day share a common patient email address and/or wireless phone number, the associated eReminders will be grouped together into one long text message or email.
To customize aggregated messages:
- On the Edit eReminder Rule window, click Advanced.
- Change the text message and email templates as needed. See below for a description of each field.
- Click OK to save and return to the Edit eReminder Rule window.
Note: Clicking Cancel to close the window will also close the Edit eReminder Rule window without saving any settings.
Template Replacement Tags: A list of valid template replacement tags that can be used to insert data from the database into the message.
Aggregated Text Message
Aggregated Email Message
The text message and email templates above would result in the following message:
Ann is scheduled for 3:45 pm on 3/24/2018 at North Clinic.
Jerry is scheduled for 4:45 pm on 3/24/2018 at North Clinic.
If you have questions call 555-555-5555.
Note: When a patient has multiple appointments on the same day, only their earliest appointment will show in the message.
Allow eMessages from Appts w/o Clinic
This is a general option that applies to both eReminders and eConfirmations when the clinic on an appointment is set to none.
- Checked: eMessages will be sent to all appointments, even if no clinic is assigned.
- Unchecked: Appointments with no clinic will not be sent a message.
Activate the eReminder Service
When rules, confirmation status, and automation options are set up correctly, activate the service to begin sending eReminders.
On the Automated eReminders and eConfirmations tab, click Activate eReminders. The button label will toggle to Deactivate eReminders.
Note: To stop all eReminders from sending, click Deactivate eReminders.
Questions and Answers
How can I prevent an eReminder being sent for a specific appointment/patient?
To the appointment, apply a Confirmed status that is marked as Don't Send for eReminders. To mark a status as Don't Send:
- In the Confirmation Statuses grid, double click the appointment confirmation status.
- On the Edit Definition window under eReminders, check Exclude when sending.
- Patient doesn't want to receive automated eReminders at all. Set the Confirmed status for all appointments to a status that won't send.
- Patient has multiple scheduled appointments on the same day (e.g. one with hygienist followed by one with the doctor). Set the Confirmed status of the later appointment to a status that won't send.