In the Appointments Module, Open Dental has a few features to help you manage patient arrival time without changing appointment time. This can be useful for patients who typically arrive late to appointments, or for new patients who need to fill out paperwork prior to the appointment.
You can attach an early arrival time that will apply to all appointments for a patient, or a one-time early arrival time to a specific appointment.
- The appointment schedule will show the appointment time, not the Time Ask to Arrive.
- To display the Time Ask to Arrive in the appointment box, see Appointment Views.
- The Time Ask to Arrive will display on patient literature (e.g. email, postcard reminders, etc.)
- If an appointment is rescheduled, the Time Ask to Arrive value will reset. If an Ask to Arrive Early value is entered on the Edit Patient Information window, it will be used to calculate a new arrival time, and a message will indicate the previous arrival time.
- A patient can be scheduled with a Time Ask to Arrive outside of open office hours without a warning message. For example, the clinic opens at 8:00 am, the patient is scheduled for an 8:00 am appointment but is asked to arrive at 7:45 am (the office is not open).
Early Arrival Time for all Appointments
Using this method, every time an appointment for the patient is scheduled, a popup will notify you of the early arrival time and the Time Ask to Arrive field on the Edit Appointment window will automatically populate with the Ask to Arrive Early value. For example, if a patient is scheduled for a 9:00 AM appointment, the popup will prompt you to ask the patient to arrive at 8:45 AM.
- Open the patient's Edit Patient Information Window.
- Ask to Arrive Early: Enter the length of time, in minutes, you want the patient to arrive early.
- Save for entire family: Check this box to apply the early arrival time to everyone in the patient's family.
- Click OK to save.
Early Arrival Time for One Appointment
Using this method, the early arrival time only affects a single appointment.
- Double click on the appointment to open the Edit Appointment Window.
- In Time Ask to Arrive, enter the time you want the patient to arrive in 00:00 format.
- Click OK to save.