Referrals for a patient can be viewed in the Family Module. Three types of referrals can be entered for a patient: Referred From, Referred To, and Refer Custom.
- To show referrals in the Family Module, Patient Information area, add Referral to Display Fields, Patient Information. The label for custom referrals can also be customized in Display Fields. The Referred From and Referred To labels cannot be changed and only show when a referral from or to has been attached.
- Customize the referral cell color in Definitions: Misc Colors.
- For information about referral slips, see Referral Slip.
Also see Referral Analysis Report.
Add a Referral
- In the Family Module, Patient Information area, double click the Referral row.
All referrals for the patient will list.
- Click Referred From, Refer To or Refer Custom.
- Single click on a referral in the Referral List then click OK to select.
- On the Referrals for Patient window, double click the referral to enter more details. If EHR is turned on, this window will open automatically.
Procedure: Shows the procedure information if this is a referred procedure.
- Referral Type: Select the type of referral. Options are To, From, and Referral (other).
- Name/Notes about referral source: Verify the referral's name and any notes.
- Click Edit Referral to edit information.
- Click Change Referral to select a different referral source.
- Referring Provider: Select the provider making the referral. Only shows for Referrals To. This is required for EHR Summaries of Care referrals. Click [...] to select a provider from the Provider List. Click None to clear the box.
- Date: Enter the referral date.
- Order: Indicates the sort order in this referral will show as in the patient's list of referrals (1, 2, 3, etc). Usually each patient has one referred from item, and this is what you are interested in for reporting. If there is more than one, the referral highest in the list is considered the primary referral and used for reporting.
- Status: Select the status of referred out procedures. Useful for tracking. See Referred Procedure Tracking Report.
- Patient note: Enter notes specific to this patient. It is separate from the note above which is for the referral source itself.
- Referral Slips: A list of referral slips generated for this source. Double click a slip to open.
- Transition of Care: If this is a referral for a Summary of Care, check this box.
- Date Proc Completed: Once the procedure is set complete, enter the completed date here. This date determines completed procedures on the Referred Procedure Tracking Report.
- Click OK to save.
- Click Close on the Referrals for Patient window.
The referral name and phone number will list in Patient Information area.
Note: For EHR, when a referral to a doctor is entered, a Summary of Care is automatically sent to the Patient Portal and by default an automatic WebMail is also generated to notify the patient. To turn off automatic summary of care WebMails, see EHR Settings