Automation can be used to automatically perform actions when a specific trigger occurs and condition is met.
In the Main Menu, click Setup, Automation.
Webinar: Automation in Open Dental
- Pop up a warning when a patient's insurance plan effective date ends.
- Pop up warning for a patient who has a specific allergy or condition.
- Generate patient instructions when a specific procedure is completed (e.g. extraction).
- Automatically generate a letter when a patient misses their appointment.
- Automatically generate a letter to a referral source when a new patient schedules their first appointment.
- Restrict appointment scheduling when a patient has a specific billing type (e.g. collections).
Note: A logged-on user's Security Permissions
may affect automation. For example, if a user has permission to change a billing type, but not to restrict appointment scheduling, an automation to mark the Appointment Scheduling is Restricted checkbox when a specific billing type is selected will not occur. The PatientApptRestrict
security permission is required.
To create an automation event:
- Click Add to create a new automation, or double-click on an existing automation to edit.
Options available may change depending on the selected Trigger and/or Action.
- Description: Enter the identifying name of the automation.
- Trigger: Select the action that will trigger this automation. There are six options (others can be requested, see Feature Requests):
- CompleteProcedure: When a procedure is set complete (Set Appointment Complete). See below to specify procedure(s).
- BreakAppointment: When an appointment is broken (Break Appointment).
- CreateApptNewPat: When an appointment is created for a patient with no appointment history (new patient).
- OpenPatient: When a patient's record is opened/selected.
- CreateAppt: When an appointment of any type is created.
- ScheduleProcedure: When a specific procedure is scheduled. See below to specify procedure(s).
- SetBillingType: When a billing type changes (Edit Patient Information).
- RxCreate: When a new prescription is created for a controlled substance or when a new prescription is created that requires a procedure code. Works with the conditions IsControlled and IsProcRequired. For electronic prescriptions the automation will occur when the prescription is imported to Open Dental. Also see DoseSpot eRx / Prescription, Writing and Transmitting Legacy eRx Prescriptions, Rx / Prescription.
- Procedure Code(s): If CompleteProcedure or ScheduleProcedure is the trigger, enter the procedure codes, separated with commas (no spaces), or click [...] to select from the Procedure Codes.
- Conditions (optional): Set conditions that must be met for the trigger to occur.
- Click Add or double-click on an existing condition.
- Select the condition details then click OK.
- Field: The field that will be checked.
- Comparison: The qualifier.
- Text: The text that must be matched. For Billing Type click [...] to select from a billing type pick list.
Conditions are ANDed together. In other words, they must all be true for the automation action to be fired. To handle OR conditions, create separate automations.
- Action: Select the automated action that will occur when the trigger and/or conditions are met.
- PrintPatientLetter: Generate Letter (e.g. for patient handouts). To generate multiple handouts, create multiple automations.
- CreateCommlog: Open the Commlog window.
- PrintReferralLetter: Generate ReferredFrom Referral Letter.
- ShowExamSheet: Open blank Exam Sheet.
- PopUp: Show a popup message.
- SetApptStatusASAP: Set the appointment status to ASAP.
- ShowConsentForm: Open the selected Consent Form.
- SetApptType: Set the Appointment Types when CreateApptNewPat or CreateAppt trigger is selected.
- PopUpThenDisable10Minutes: The popup message appears once, then is disabled for 10 minutes.
- PatRestrictApptSchedTrue: Restrict appointment scheduling for the patient by marking the Appointment scheduling is restricted checkbox on the Edit Patient Information window. Typically used when SetBillingType is the trigger.
- PatRestrictApptSchedFalse: Do not restrict appointment scheduling for the patient (unchecks the Appointment scheduling is restricted checkbox on the Edit Patient Information window). Typically used when SetBillingType is the trigger.
- PrintRxInstuction: Generate Rx Instructions for a patient when instructions are added to a new prescription.
- Sheet Def: Shows when PrintPatientLetter, PrintReferralLetter, or ShowExamSheet is selected as the Action. Select the sheet template to use. See Sheets.
- Comm Type: Shows when CreateCommlog is selected as the Action. Select the default comm log type.
- Message: Shows when CreateCommlog or PopUp is selected as the Action. Enter the default message.
- Click OK to save.