The Account module is where the patient's finances are organized. Accounts are tracked on a patient basis, not a family basis.
Also see Account Module Table of Contents and Webinars.
Set default options in Account Module Preferences.
Payment: Click the button to Enter a Patient Payment. Click the dropdown to Allocate Unearned Income to Procedures or Transfer Income.
Adjustment: Click the button to enter a negative or positive Adjustment. Click the dropdown to apply a Sales Tax adjustment to a procedure.
New Claim: Click the button to Create a Claim based on insurance plan situation. Or click the dropdown to select another option:
- Primary: Create a primary dental claim.
- Secondary: Manually create a Secondary Claim.
- Medical: Create a medical or institutional claim.
- Other: For patients with three or more dental insurance plans.
Payment Plan: Set up a Patient Payment Plan or Insurance Payment Plan (e.g. orthodontics).
Installment Plan: Set up an Installment Plan. This is a quick alternative to a payment plan.
Quick Procs: Quickly add procedures to a patient's account. See Quick Procs.
Repeating Charge: Add a Repeating Charge to be added to the patient's balance on a monthly basis. Useful for orthodontic offices.
Statement: Click the button to send a full Statement to the printer. Click the dropdown to select another option:
- Walkout: Send a walkout statement directly to the printer.
- Email: Email a PDF version of the full statement.
- Receipt: Send a receipt directly to the printer.
- Invoice: Generate an invoice.
- Limited Statement: Generate a limited statement that only includes selected procedures and associated transactions.
- More Options: Open the Statement window to select specific statement options.
Questionnaire: Launch the Questionnaire feature. Only shows if enabled in Show Features.
TrojanCollect: Launch Trojan Express Collect. Only shows if enabled in Show Features.
Aging and Balance Due
Typically, Aging (30/60/90 days past due) is updated daily for all patients. Every time you open a patient's account, the aging is also recomputed for accuracy.
Next to aging, the estimated balances
after insurance pays can be seen.
- Total: The total balance for all family members.
- Ins Est: The total insurance pending amount for all family members (estimated insurance payments + estimated writeoffs).
- Est Bal (bold red): The total remaining balance for the family after substracting pending insurance amounts.
- Pat Est Bal: The selected patient's balance after subtracting pending insurance amounts.
- Ins Rem: Hover over the box see insurance remaining. The amounts are calculated the same way as in the Treatment Plan module.
- Unearned: The amount of Unearned Income (unallocated to procedures or providers).
- If using Patient Payment Plans, the Total, Est Bal, and Pat Est Bal may or may not include payment plan amounts due, depending on your pay plan logic.
- If 'Balances don't subtract insurance estimate' in Account Module Preferences is turned on, the captions above balance information are different (Balance (bold red), Ins Pending, After Ins, Pat Est Bal). This
option is useful if your office does not accept
insurance assignment of benefits and the patient pays the full amount regardless of
the insurance estimate.
To give you as many choices as possible, there is not a close out process at the end of the month to put procedures into history. Instead, if you don't want previous entries to be altered, assign Security permissions to users based on date. Older entries can still be changed, but only if you have permission and the correct password. Procedures themselves are always protected from alteration regardless of your security settings.
When the patient is associated with a Payment Plan, details show in the Payment Plan grid. Double click a plan to view terms, amortization schedule, or to edit.
Credits, debits, and payments for patient payment plans can optionally show as line items in the patient's account ledger and affect balances and aging. See Patient Payment Plans for a description of options.
Patient Account Tab
The patient's account ledger. All procedures, grouped by date with related claims, insurance payments, patient payments (and pay splits), adjustments, statements, invoices, and receipts are listed. Depending on your payment plan logic, payment plan credits, debits, and payments may also show. The sort order is as follows:
- All items are sorted by date.
- Procedures are listed first, followed by adjustments, then other items.
- Procedures are sorted first by status, then by priority, tooth range, tooth number, procedure code, and lastly procedure number.
Double click an item to edit. Click a claim or adjustment to highlight attached procedures.
- Customize text colors for entry types in Definitions: Account Colors.
- Customize the columns that show in Display Fields, AccountModule.
- Running balances never take into account pending insurance estimates.
- Insurance payments use the Payment Date of the Claim Procedures attached to the claim. If a claim has procedures with different payment dates, there will be multiple line items for 'Insurance Payment for Claim'.
Ortho Case Tab
This tab only shows if 'Show ortho case in account module' is selected in Ortho Setup. View the patient's orthodontic details. See Ortho Case.
The Communications Log lists all Commlog entries for the patient. There is a splitter between the main account grid and the Commlog. Drag the splitter up or down to shrink or expand the log.
Fam Urgent Fin Note: This note applies to the entire family. It shows in red and is meant for very important financial notes. It also shows in red in a variety of other places throughout the program. If you have monitors that are visible to the patients and you don't want them to accidentally see your note, type 'see below' on the first line. Then hit the enter key a few times before typing your note. This will force users to scroll down to see the note.
Credit Card Manage: See Credit Card Manage.
Select Patient: Lists all family members. Click on a patient to switch patient accounts.
Family Financial: These notes are not tracked in the audit trail. This is an older version of the Commlog.
Select which information displays in the patient's account ledger.
Start/End Date: Filter line items by date. Enter a start and end date manually then click Refresh, or click a button to select today only, Last 45 Days, Last 90 Days, or All Dates (no date range).
Show Proc Breakdowns: Display additional financial information in the description column for each procedure (e.g. patient portion, insurance paid, writeoff, adjustment). To show the breakdown on statements, select "Show procedure breakdown" in Manage Module Preferences.
Show Family Comm Entries: Show Commlog entries for the entire family rather than just for the current patient.
Show Completed Pay Plans: Show Patient Payment Plans that have been closed. See Closing Payment Plans. This setting will affect all workstations.
At the lower right is the Questionnaire button and the Trojan Express Collect button.
This grid only shows if you have added fields
to AccountPatientInformation in Display Fields. It can list billing type and custom patient fields. See Custom Patient Fields to add or hide definitions in this list.