Patient Payment Plans are essentially a loan to the patient, with payment responsibility falling to the payment plan guarantor.
- Patients can have multiple payment plans, and each plan can have a different guarantor.
- Attach credits associated to completed or treatment planned procedures, or attach credits not associated to procedures. The total amount of credits determines the amount subtracted from the patient's account balance. We recommending attaching credits for procedures so you can easily allocate payment plan payments to those procedures.
- Payment plan credits, debits, and payments can show in the account ledger and affect balances and aging, or be treated as a separate entity depending on the Pay Plan Logic set in Account Module Preferences.
- Close payment plans that are no longer being paid on. Any remaining charges will become due immediately.
In the Account module, the Payment Plans grid lists all payment plans associated with the family.
To set when payment plan payments will be due, see Manage Module Preferences, Days in advance to bill payment plans amounts due.
Payment Plans and the Account Ledger
Whether or not payment plan credits, debits, and payments are shown as line items in the account ledger and affect balances and aging is determined by the setting in Account Module Preferences for Pay Plan Logic. There are three options:
AgedDebitsandCredits (recommended): This logic is useful when you want payment plan debits, credits, and payments to show as line items in patient account ledger and affect balances and aging.
- Payment plan amounts due (PayPln: Debit) and credits (PayPln: Credit) show as line items in the patient account ledger.
- Payment plan payments show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan due amounts are included the patient's balance.
- Payment plan amounts due and payments are considered when calculating aging.
- Changes made to historical payment plan charges will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
AgedCreditsOnly: This logic is useful if you prefer a traditional logic, but want to be able to change payment plan charges without changing historical information.
- Each payment plan credit line item will show in the account ledger, sorted by Tx Credit date.
- Payment plan debits (amounts due) only show in the Payment Plan grid. They do not show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan amounts due will not be considered when calculating balances and aging.
- Changes made to historical payment plan credits will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
DoNotAgePaymentPlans (old behavior): With this logic, payment plan debits, credits, and payments are managed as a separate entity.
- Payment plan information only shows in the Payment Plans grid. Double clicking the plan row is the only way to view payment plan payments.
- One payment plan credit (PayPln) will show as a single line item in the patient account ledger, thus reducing the total account balance by the amount. The credit amount is based on the Tx Completed Amt set in the payment plan.
- Other payment plan credits, debits, and payments do not show in the ledger nor do they affect balances or aging.
- The total A/R in the Aging of A/R report will not include payment plan due amounts.
- Only changes to the Tx Completed Amount affect aging and production and income reports.