Sales tax can be added to the patient's Account.
Hint: To quickly add retail items (e.g. toothpaste) to a patient's account, see Quick Procs.
Version 16.4 and greater
Quickly apply a sales tax adjustment to selected procedures based on a set percentage.
Setup: In Account Module Preferences:
- Set the default adjustment type for sales tax adjustments.
- Set a fixed sales tax percentage.
Apply the Sales Tax to Procedures:
- In the Account module, select the procedures to apply the sales tax to.
- Click the Adjustment dropdown in the toolbar, then Apply Sales Tax.
For each procedure, a Sales Tax adjustment will be added. Below is an example of a 5% sales tax adjustment for a $5 procedure.
The default provider on the adjustment will be the Practice's default provider. If using Clinics, the default provider will be the default provider for the clinic assigned to the procedure, or if no clinic, the practice's default provider.
Version 16.3 and earlier
Apply sales tax using a sales tax Adjustment or a dummy sales tax Procedure Code.
Add a Sales Tax Adjustment
- In Setup, Definitions, create a new Adjustment Type (e.g. Sales Tax, +).
- In the Account module, add the adjustment:
- Click Add Adjustment.
- Enter the sales tax in the Amount field.
- Select the Sales Tax adjustment type.
- Click OK.
To see all sales tax adjustments made in a date range, use the Adjustment Report.
Add a Sales Tax Procedure Code
- Create a new non-D procedure code and check the box for Do not usually bill to insurance. Adding Procedure Code.
- Add the new sales tax procedure code to the patient's Appointment or Chart when applicable.
- Enter the sales tax in the Amount field on the Procedure Edit window.
- Set the procedure code complete.
The Sales Tax will list under Patient Account in the Account module.
To see all sales tax procedures for a date range, use the Procedure Report. Enter the procedure code and select Grouped by Procedure Code to view total amounts.