Custom Patient Fields
Custom patient fields will show at the bottom of the Patient Information area of the Family module. They will only show after adding the Display Field to the PatientInformation category. Examples are fields for a second email, fax number, patient's website, trivia, signed HIPAA, etc. Custom patient fields can also be added to the Appointment View Edit Window.
Enter Information in a Custom Patient Field
- In the Family module, Patient Information area, double click on the custom field.
- Enter or select the information, then click OK.
Add Custom Patient Fields
- In the main menu, click Setup, Family/Insurance, Patient Field Defs.
- Click Add or double click an existing field to edit. Use the up/down arrows to reorder fields.
- Enter the field information, then click OK to save.
- Field Name: The field label.
- Field Type: Select the type of field.
- Text: Users can enter any freeform text.
- PickList: Users will select from a list of items. Enter one item on each line. Answers will be attached to patients as plain text.
- Date: Only allow users to enter dates. These dates will be attached to patients as plain text rather than as a formal date.
- Checkbox: Create a single checkbox that users can use to indicate yes or true.
- Currency: Only numeric values will be allowed. Values will be converted to currency (e.g. 1 will be converted to $1.00).
- Patient field defs in use cannot be deleted. Instead, check Hidden to hide field definitions from patient information.
- Editing a field removes the original field and creates a new field with the edited name.
Set Up Custom Patient Fields
Set up which patient fields will show in the Patient Information grid in selected areas of Open Dental.
- In Patient Field Defs, click Setup.
- Field Location: Click the dropdown to select. This is the location in Open Dental where patient fields show. Family module is the default location.
- Select a Visible Field and click the right arrow to hide it from the selected location.
- Select a Hidden Field and click the left arrow to add it to visible fields in the selected location.
- Click OK to save.