Use Printer Setup to set default print options for the current workstation.
In the Main Menu, click File, Printers.
Note: Printer Setup cannot be accessed by Open Dental Cloud users.
All categories that allow a default printer are listed.
To view a simple version of this window, check This is too complicated. Show me the simple interface (see below).
For each category, select the default printer.
- Default: The printer used for all categories that have default as the selection.
- Appointments: The printer used when printing appointments from the Appointments Module.
- Claims: The printer used for claims.
- Labels - Sheet: The printer used for sheets of Labels.
- Labels - Single: The printer used for single Labels.
- Postcards: The printer used for postcards.
- Rx's: The printer used for Paper Prescriptions.
- Controlled Rx's: The printer used for prescriptions that are marked as a controlled substance.
- Multi Rx's: The printer used for multiple prescriptions on one page. See Rx Manage.
- Statements: The printer used for Statement.
- Treatment Plans and Perio: The printer used for Treatment Plans or Perio Chart.
- Receipts: The printer used for XCharge (OpenEdge), PaySimple, or PayConnect receipts.
Prompt: Check this box to select a printer before printing. This is useful when a user wants to select a different printer, print a page range, or make printing adjustments. Uncheck this to immediately print to the selected printer using the printers defaults.
This is too complicated. Show me the simple interface: Check to show a simple interface. When setting Printer Setup to the Simple Interface, all workstations will also be set to Simple Interface and the printer will be set back to the Windows Default. A warning will display prior to making this change.
Below are common printer issues and troubleshooting methods. Before starting the troubleshooting process:
- Check that adequate paper is in all paper trays and there is sufficient ink.
- Make sure you have selected the correct printer (It is the default in Printer Setup above, or is selected on the Prompt window).
Problem: Unable to print from Open Dental or Windows.
Solution: This is likely an issue with your printer drivers or Windows configuration.
- Make sure your printer drivers are up-to-date and compatible with your Windows version.
- Restart the printer.
- If that doesn't work, try restarting the computer.
- If neither work, this is likely a printer setup issue. You may need to reinstall the printer drivers.
Problem: Can print from Windows, but unable to print from Open Dental.
- Exit Open Dental, then run Open Dental as Administrator.
- If that doesn't work, and you have been able to print from Open Dental with the current printer previously, try restarting your computer.
- If that doesn't work, or your printer has never worked with Open Dental, contact us.
Problem: Open Dental stops responding when attempting to print.
- If the printer is a network printer, make sure you have access to the server location.
- Restart the computer. If the communication between Windows and Open Dental is bad, this should fix it.
- If still not responding, contact us.