The Open Dental Service is used to run background processes necessary for Open Dental.
In the Service Manager, double-click OpenDentalService.
Note: The OpenDentalService will only list in the Service Manager on the server computer. The service should only be installed on the server, since additional installations on workstations may cause conflicts.
This service is required for customers using Email, eServices or customers utilizing certain third parties.
The OpenDentalService does the following:
- Creates an alert:
- Downloads email from servers based on the Inbox Receive Interval set in Email Setup.
- Runs aging once a day if Aging is enterprise preference is selected. See Enterprise Setup.
- Imports clearinghouse reports if Receive Reports by Service is checked in the E-Claims window.
- Send patient aging information to Transworld Systems Inc. (TSI).
- Sends information from Podium if Use service to send invitations is checked in the Podium program link.
Installing the OpenDentalService
The OpenDentalService is typically installed on the server computer upon initial installation of Open Dental.
Sometimes the OpenDentalService must be installed manually due to permission restrictions on the server.
To manually install the OpenDentalService:
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Misc Tools, Service Manager.
- Click Add.
- Click Browse and select the OpenDentalService.exe. This is typically located in \Program Files (x86)\OpenDental\OpenDentalService\.
- Click Install.
- Enter your configuration settings.
- Click OK to close the Configuration window.
- If the installation is successful, the status will change from Not Installed to Installed, Running.