Repeating charges are added by attaching a procedure with the repeating charge amount to the patient's account each month. First you must set up the repeating charge. Then, before running billing each month, run the Repeating Charges tool to add the charge, create needed claims, or allocate prepayments. Turn on the Repeating Charges feature in Show Features.
Set up a Repeating Charge
- In the Account Module, click Repeating Charge.
- Select the procedure code to add to the patient's account as the repeating charge. The procedure code must have a Treatment Area of Mouth, and cannot require a tooth number, surface, arch, or quadrant. Procedure Codes
- Charge Amount: Enter the monthly charge amount. Type it in, or in the Calculate Charge Amount area, enter the Total Amount, the Number of Charges, then press Calculate to automatically fill the Charge Amount field.
- Date Start: Enter the start date of the repeating charge. Automatically filled in with today's date. This date determines when the charge will be posted each month. For example, a 9/25/2016 start date will result in a charge posted on 9/25, 10/25, 11/25, etc.
- Date Stop: Enter the last date of the repeating charge. If left blank, the repeating charge will be added to the account indefinitely. The charge will stop when a stop date is entered or the Enabled box is unchecked.
- Creates Claim: Check this box to automatically create a claim for this procedure when the procedure is added to the patient account ledger using the Repeating Charges tool. The patient must have insurance and the procedure cannot be marked Do Not Bill to Ins. The Date of Service will be the procedure date and the claim status will be Waiting to Send. If the patient has a secondary insurance plan, a secondary claim will also be created with a status of Hold.
- Use prepayments: Check this box to automatically allocate Prepayment to the repeating charge when the procedure is added to the patient account ledger using the Repeating Charges tool.
- Enabled: Check this box to add this repeating charge will be added to the patient's account until the stop date. Uncheck to disable the repeating charge. Disabled charges can be safely deleted without affecting the patient's account.
- Note: Enter a note.
- Copy note to procedure billing note: Click to copy the note to the Billing Note on the Procedure - Misc Tab.
- Click OK to save. The repeating charge details will show in the Repeat Charges grid at the top of the Account Module.
Manually add a repeating charge procedure to the patient's account: Click Manual to add this repeating charge procedure to the patient's account without running the repeating charge tool. A new repeating charge procedure will be added each time you click the button. This method will not automatically create a claim or allocate prepayments.
Run the Repeating Charges Tool
To add repeating charge procedures to patient account balances each month, run the Repeating Charges tool. We recommend running this tool before generating the Billing List.
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Repeating Charges.
- Click OK. All repeating charge transactions that meet the date requirements will be added to each patient account.
Example of transactions when a prepayment is applied to a repeating charge using an income transfer.
Example of transactions when a claim is created automatically for a repeating charge.
Note: If you don't see the transactions in the patient's account, refresh the module.