Use the Setup Wizard tool to begin initial setup of your Open Dental database and track progress.
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Setup Wizard.
Green rows indicate areas where information has been entered. Red rows indicate areas that still require input. To read a brief explanation of a setup area, click the information icon (i).
- To run through the entire setup wizard, click Set Up All. To begin setup of a category, double click the category (Pre-Setup, Basic Setup).To only access a specific item, double click a row.
- Follow the instructions on each window to enter information, then click a button to proceed.
- Back: Return to the previous window.
- Next: Proceed to the next window.
- Skip: Leave the current setup area without entering information.
- Close: Exit the setup wizard.
Below is a list of the information that can be entered via the Setup Wizard.
- Registration Key
- Basic Features
- Fee Schedules
- Practice/Headquarters Information
A welcome window will preview each setup area. A completion window will indicate when the setup information has been entered. Below is an example of the welcome window that previews the Registration Key Setup area.
Registration Key Setup
Enter the Open Dental registration key and run Procedure Code Tools.
- Click Change.
- Enter the unique registration key for the practice.
- Read the CDT licensing agreement as needed.
- Check I agree to the terms of the above license agreement in its entirety.
- Click OK to save.
Procedure Code Tools: This tool updates the procedure codes used in Open Dental.
- Click Procedure Code Tools.
- Check the boxes of the tools to run. By default, only the D Codes box is checked. This tool adds missing CDT codes to the Procedure Code List.
- Click Run Now.
- Messages will indicate when the tool has finished running. Click OK to close.
- Click Close to close the window.
To access advanced update setup information, click Advanced in the lower right.
Basic Feature Setup
Quickly turn on/off basic features your office may or may not use. Settings will affect all computers using the same database.
- To read a brief explanation of a feature, click the information icon (i).
- To turn a feature on, check the box. To turn a feature off, uncheck the box.
- Only basic settings are listed. To view all available features, click Advanced in the lower right to open the Show Features window.
Enter information about providers. At a minimum enter abbreviation, first and last name, suffix, SSN or TIN (for dentists), and NPI.
- All current providers will list. Red cells indicate missing information.
- To add a provider, click Add. To edit provider information, double click a row. See Provider for field definitions.
- For more options (e.g. reassign and move providers, and reorder the provider list), click Advanced in the lower right to open the main Providers window.
Enter employee names and payroll IDs (optional). This information is used to create user security profiles, set up employee work schedules, and provide access to the time clock.
- All current employees will list. Red cells indicate missing information. First and last name are required.
- Click Add to create a new employee. To edit an existing employee, double click the row. See Employees for field definitions.
- Click Advanced in the lower right to open the main Employee List window.
Enter office and insurance fee schedules. These will be assigned to a patient's insurance plan to accurately reflect treatment estimates.
- All current fee schedules will list.
- Click Add to create a new fee schedule.
- Click Edit Fees to bring up Procedure Codes to edit the associated fees.
- Click Import to import fees over the currently selected fee schedule. File must be in tab-delimited format (.xls, .txt, or .csv) with a column for procedure code and column for fees.
If you turned on Clinics in Basic Feature setup, enter basic information about each clinic.
- All current clinics will list. Red cells indicate missing information. Description, abbreviation, phone number, and address are required.
- Click Add to create a new clinic. To edit an existing clinic, double click the row.
- Click Advanced in the lower right to open the main Clinics window.
Note: Enter headquarters information in Practice Setup.
Name operatories that will show in the appointment schedule, assign default providers and clinics, and designate specific hygiene operatories.
- All operatories currently set up will list. Red cells indicate missing information. Name and abbreviation are required.
- Click Add to create a new operatory. To edit an existing operatory, double click the row. See Operatory Setup for field definitions.
- Click Advanced in the lower right to open the main Operatories window.
Practice Info Setup
Enter general contact information, billing and pay-to addresses, and default providers for the practice. If Clinics is turned on, practice refers to headquarters.
- Practice Title: The name of the practice. If there is only one provider, the practice title can be the name of the provider.
- Phone / Fax
- Physical Treating Address: The physical location where treatment is performed. This address is always used on statements.
To enter additional practice information, click Advanced in the lower right.
Printer / Scanner Setup
Set up print and scan options for the current workstation.
Printer Setup: All categories that allow you to set a default printer are listed. See Printer Setup for more details about each option.
- For each category, click the dropdown to select the default printer.
- Prompt: Check the box to show a prompt window every time you print. This allows you to verify printer and select other options prior to printing. When unchecked, items are printed directly.
- Show me the simple interface: To only set one default printer for all categories, check 'Show me the simple interface', then select the printer.
Scanner Setup: Set default options when scanning in the Images module. Click the information (i) icon for more details about an option.
- Show Select Scanner Window: Prompt user to select a scanner each time they scan.
- JPEG Compression - Quality After Scanning: Set the image quality (0 - 100) for the scanned file. A lower number means more compression and smaller file size.
- Show Scanner Options Window: Prompt the user to select scanning options each time they scan.
- Use the Options Below: Use the default scanning options set below each time a user scans.
- Multipage Scans Duplex: Checked: Scan both sides of documents. Unchecked: Scan one side of documents.
- Grayscale: Checked: Scan in grayscale. Unchecked: Scan in 24-bit color.
- Resolution: Enter the document resolution in dots per inch (50 - 1000).
Click Advanced in the lower right to select additional Radiograph and Suni Imaging settings.