In the Main Menu, click Setup, Security.
For Dental Schools, students, instructors, and other providers are assigned to User Groups, and each group has specific security Permissions that determine a user's access to various features.
User Groups and Security Permissions
Create at least three types of user groups and carefully consider which Security permissions each group should have.
- Admin users: Typically have access to most if not all permissions, including:
- Security Admin: Define users, user groups, security permissions.
- Setup: Access to setup functions, including dental courses and classes.
- Instructor Edit: Create and edit providers that are instructors.
- Student Edit: Create and edit providers that are students.
- Admin Evaluation Edit: View and edit student evaluations; cannot create.
- Instructors: All instructors have the ability to create student evaluations; this is not related to a security permission. To set up evaluations, the instructor user group should have the Setup security permission.
- Students: Students should not have access to permissions that involve system setup or security.
To create a user group and assign security permissions, see User Group.
Assign Students and Instructors a User Group
After creating user groups, assign the default student and instructor groups in Dental School Setup. This determines the user group assignment when adding each new students and instructors.
User names and passwords
Each student, instructor, and other providers need a unique user name and password to Log On to Open Dental. These are assigned when adding the providers: