Custom patient fields are fields you can add to various areas of the program. Examples: second email, fax number, patient's website, trivia, signed HIPAA. They can show in several areas including:
To enter information in a custom patient field:
- Double click the cell.
- Type the information, or select from a list of options.
- Click OK to save.
- Information entered in a custom patient field can also be displayed in an appointment box on the schedule (see Appointment Views).
- Data entered in a patient field is tied to the field name. If you edit a patient field name, any data already entered in the field will be hidden, and essentially a new field is created. To view data tied to the original field name, revert to the original name, or create a new field with the same name.
Add or Edit Patient Fields
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Family/Insurance, Patient Field Defs.
To reorder patient fields, highlight the field, then click the up/down arrows.
Display patient fields that have been renamed:
- Checked: When a Field Def is in use by a patient, renaming the field will cause the old field and any entered data to show in grey text at the bottom of the Patient Information area.
- Unchecked: When a Field Def is in use by a patient, renaming the field will cause entered data to be removed.
- Click Add or double click an existing field to edit.
- Field Name: Enter the field label.
- Field Type: Select the type of field.
- Text: Users can enter any freeform text.
- PickList: Users will select from a list of items. Enter one item on each line. Answers will be attached to patients as plain text.
- Date: Only allow users to enter dates. These dates will be attached to patients as plain text rather than as a formal date.
- Checkbox: Create a single checkbox that users can use to indicate yes or true.
- Currency: Only numeric values will be allowed. Values will be converted to currency (e.g. 1 will be converted to $1.00).
- Click OK to save
Note: Patient field defs in use cannot be deleted. Instead, check Hidden to hide them.
Location of the Patient Field
Custom patient fields can be available to display in all patient information areas (Chart, Account, Family, Ortho Chart), or you can set patient fields to only be available for specific patient information areas.
To actually display patient fields in the Family, Account, and Chart module patient information areas, also add the PatFields to the corresponding Display Fields
- On the Patient Field Defs window, click Setup to open the Field Display window.
- Field Location: Click the dropdown to select the location. There are four options for patient fields:
- Account: Fields available for the Display Field category AccountPatientInformation.
- Chart: Fields available for the Display Field category ChartPatientInformation.
- Family: Fields available for the Display Field category PatientInformation.
- OrthoChart: Fields that will display in the Patient Fields area of the Ortho Chart.
- Visible vs Hidden Fields: Determine which fields should be visible and which should be hidden. To move a field to a different grid, highlight it, then click the right/left arrow.
- Visible Fields: Fields that will show in the Ortho Chart, or when PatFields is added to the corresponding Display Field category.
- Hidden Fields: Fields that will not show.
- Click OK to save.