Setting up Automation
Automation can be used to automatically perform actions when a specific trigger occurs and condition is met.
- Pop up warning for a patient who has a specific allergy or condition.
- Generate patient instructions when a specific procedure is completed (e.g. extraction).
- Automatically generate a letter to a patient when they miss their appointment.
- Automatically generate a letter to a referral source when a new patient schedules their first appointment.
Also available: Webinar: Automation in Open Dental.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Automation.
- Click Add to create a new automation, or double click on an existing automation to edit.
- Enter the description, select the trigger, and enter automation details. Options will change depending on the selected Trigger and/or Action.
Description: The identifying name of the automation.
Trigger: The action that will trigger this automation. There are six options (others can be Requested):
- CompleteProcedure: When a procedure is set complete. See below to specify procedure(s).
- BreakAppointment: When an appointment is broken.
- CreateApptNewPat: When an appointment is created for a patient with no appointment history (new patient).
- OpenPatient: When a patient's record is opened/selected.
- CreateAppt: When an appointment of any type is created.
- ScheduleProcedure: When a specific procedure is scheduled. See below to specifiy procedure(s).
Procedure Codes: If CompleteProcedure or ScheduleProcedure is the trigger, enter the procedure codes, separated with commas (no spaces), or click [...] to select from the Procedure Code List.
Conditions (optional): Set conditions that must be met for the trigger to occur. Conditions are ANDed together. In other words, they must all be true for the automation action to be fired. To handle OR conditions, create separate automations.
a. Click Add or double click on an existing condition.
b. Select the condition details then click OK.
Action: The automated action that will occur when the trigger and/or conditions are met. There are five options:
- Field: The field that will be checked.
- Comparison: The qualifier.
- Text: The text that must be matched.
- PrintPatientLetter: Generate a Patient Letter (e.g. for patient handouts). To generate multiple handouts, create multiple automations.
- CreateCommlog: Open the Comm Log window.
- PrintReferralLetter: Generate a ReferredFrom Referral Letter.
- ShowExamSheet: Open a blank Exam Sheet.
- PopUp: Show a popup message.
- SetApptStatus: Set the appointment status.
- ShowConsentForm: Open the selected Consent Form.
- SetApptType: Set the appointment type when CreateApptNewPat or CreateAppt trigger is selected.
- PopUpThenDisable10Minutes: The popup message appears once, then is disabled for 10 minutes.
Sheet Def: Shows when PrintPatientLetter, PrintReferralLetter, or ShowExamSheet is selected as the Action. Select the sheet template to use. See Sheets.
Comm Type: Shows when CreateCommlog is selected as the Action. Select the default comm log type.
Message: Shows when CreateCommlog or PopUp is selected as the Action. Enter the default message.
- Click OK to save.