Appointment Types Setup
Appointment background color and time pattern can be customized by using appointment types. Assign appointment types to appointments on the Edit Appointment window, or by enabling the appointment type prompt for new appointments.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Appointments, Appointment Types.
New appointments prompt for appointment type: Set the default appointment type behavior when adding a new appointment. If checked, creating a new appointment will trigger the Select Appointment Type window to pop up. If unchecked, the window will not appear.
Warn users before disassociating procedures from an appointment: Set the default behavior when removing procedures from an appointment. If checked, a warning pops up when the user changes the appointment type of an existing appointment if the new type has different procedures than the current type. If unchecked, you can dissociate procedures from an appointment via appointment type with no warning.
- Click Add or double click an existing type to edit.
- Set the time pattern using the slider on the time bar. Manually create a custom Time Pattern for the appointment type. Click the time bar squares to toggle between X (provider) and / (non-provider) time. See Time Pattern Logic below.
- Use procedure time pattern: The appointment will use the time pattern from the procedures added to the appointment type.
- By default, each square in the time bar is 10 minutes. To change the default setting, see Setting the Time Increment.
- When procedures are added to an appointment type and "Use procedure time pattern" is selected, the procedure time pattern will show on the appointment but will not display on the Appointment Type Edit window.
- Enter the appointment type information.
- Name: The name of the appointment type.
- Color: Click the square to Select a Color. Or click None to clear a color selection. The appointment type color overrides the provider color. Changing the color of an appointment type will not change the background color of existing appointments.
- Time: The total time for the appointment displays in the time field.
- Clear: Click to reset the time pattern and use the procedure time pattern.
- Procedures: Click Add to attach procedures to the appointment type. Highlight a procedure and click Remove to delete.
- Hidden: Hide this appointment type as a selection on the Edit Appointment window.
- Click OK to save.
- Click Up or Down to reorder appointment types.
Time Pattern Logic
The appointment time is recalculated based on the following logic:
- If the appointment type has procedures attached and a custom time pattern, the custom time pattern is used.
- If the appointment type has procedures attached but does not have a custom time pattern, the procedure time pattern is used.
- If the appointment type has no procedures attached and no custom time pattern, the appointment will not have a time pattern.
Changing an Appointment Type
- When an appointment type is changed, existing appointments with that type remain unchanged. Double-click the appointment and reselect the appointment type to update.
- Changing an appointment type on an existing appointment will treatment plan the procedures for the new appointment type. The original procedures will also remain treatment planned. Manually delete the procedures you do not want in the Treatment Plan Module, Procedures grid.
- Changing the appointment type from one with a custom time pattern or attached procedures to one with no time pattern will not change the time pattern of the appointment.