Providers and proxy clinicians can begin using DoseSpot to send ePrescriptions after DoseSpot Setup is complete.
Overview: There are six main steps to using DoseSpot. First enable DoseSpot for your providers/proxy clinicians.
- Select a patient.
- Add allergies.
- Add current medications.
- Add a pharmacy.
- Prescribe new medications.
- Subscribe to eRx alerts. See Subscribing Users to Alerts.
Select a Patient
Select the patient who will receive the prescription.
- In the Open Dental main menu, click Select Patient.
- Double click the patient.
- In the Chart module, click eRx.
Select a different patient: To launch DoseSpot with a different patient, close the DoseSpot interface and repeat steps 1-3 above.
At any point, click Walk Me Through at the bottom of the interface to launch a step by step tutorial walkthrough for all processes in DoseSpot.
- In the Patient Details dashboard, Drug Allergies area, click View Details/Edit. Allergy information already entered for the selected patient shows here.
- Check No Known Allergies or click Add Drug Allergy to add a new drug allergy.
- Fill in the information.
- Allergy: Begin typing the drug name and a list will appear. Select the correct drug from the list.
- Status: Select Active or Inactive. The default is Active.
- Reaction Type: Select Allergy or Adverse Reaction.
- Reaction: Enter the reaction the patient gets from the drug.
- Onset: The date of the first occurrence of the allergy.
- Click Add.
Prescribing a drug the patient is allergic to results in a warning in the Patient Details dashboard. Allergies show in red text and adverse reactions show in gold.
Add Existing Medications
DoseSpot supports two-way medication syncing. Medications added to DoseSpot automatically list in Open Dental, and medications added in Open Dental automatically list in DoseSpot. Self-reported medications can be edited from both Open Dental and DoseSpot.
By default, all medications added in Open Dental import to DoseSpot as Patient Reported.
- In the Patient Details dashboard, click
- In the Search field, begin typing the medication name and it will appear. Select the correct medication from the list. If the medication does not appear, manually enter it and click Add.
- The medication will appear in Medications to Add.
- Click Save.
Patient reported medications will appear in Patient Medications in Open Dental and in the Patient's Active Medications area as a comment icon in DoseSpot.
Add a Preferred Pharmacy
You must add a pharmacy to the patient before medications can be sent electronically. Preferred pharmacies list under Patient's Preferred Pharmacies in the Patient Details dashboard.
In Patient's Preferred Pharmacies, click Add/edit Preferred Pharmacies.
- Use the Search By or Specialty dropdowns to filter the pharmacy list, or enter the pharmacy info in the provided fields. Select EPCS in Specialty for EPCS pharmacies.
- Click Search.
- Click the preferred pharmacy from the pharmacy list to add it to the patient.
- To remove a pharmacy, click on the pharmacy information (highlighted red) in Patient's Preferred Pharmacies.
Prescribe and Send New Medications
Prescribing New Medications
- In the Patient Details dashboard, click .
- In the Search field, begin typing the medication name and it will appear. Select the correct medication from the list.
- Click the dosage amount listed under the medication.
- Fill out the following fields:
- Effective Date: This is a required field for controlled substances, and must be within six months of the day the prescription is written.
- Patient Directions
- Dispense Amount
- Number of Refills: Schedule II medications cannot have a refill. Enter zero (0) in that case. Schedule III, IV and V may have five (5) or fewer refills. Non controlled substances may have 99 or fewer refills.
- Days Supply: Cannot exceed 365 days. Schedule II medications require this field and cannot exceed 90 days.
- Check No substitutions if needed.
- If your state requires it, add ICD/ADA code in the Pharmacy Notes. Click Show Pharmacy Notes below Save Prescription.
- Click Save Prescription. Click the star icon to save this medication to favorites.
Sending New Medications
- Scroll down to the Medication area.
- Check the box next to the medication to select it.
- Enter the provider's PIN.
- Click Approve & Send.
Non controlled substances: Prescriptions are sent immediately and the status is indicated with a gray arrow in the Patient's Active Medications. After refreshing the page, the gray arrow will turn into a green checkmark.
Controlled substances: The prescribing provider must Register for EPCS before sending. See DoseSpot Setup.
- Confirm the pharmacy and prescription.
- Click Ready to Sign.
- Enter the provider's PIN.
- Open the VIP Access app on the provider's mobile device and enter the two-factor authentication (TFA) code.
- Click Approve & Send.
The prescription is sent and the status is indicated with a gray arrow in the Patient's Active Medications. After refreshing the page, the grey arrow will turn into a green checkmark.
EHR Incentive Program: While DoseSpot has superior features to Legacy eRx, only Legacy eRx - Comprehensive may be used for ePrescribing with EHR Incentive Program. See Electronic Rx.