Locations using clinics can store XCharge (OpenEdge) login credentials for each clinic in a single database, then associate the credentials with different merchant accounts in XCharge.
The XCharge accounts that can be used in Open Dental will depend on the Open Dental security settings for the logged-on user. Users restricted to a clinic can only access the associated merchant account. Users not restricted to clinics (Headquarters) can access all merchant accounts.
There are four steps:
- Create the clinics in Open Dental. Click Lists, Clinics.
- Add Clinic Merchant Accounts to X-Charge.
- Create clinic users in XCharge.
- Set up clinic-level XCharge credentials in Open Dental.
Add Clinic Merchant Accounts to X-Charge
Once X-Charge is installed, add merchant accounts for each clinic.
- In XCharge, go to File, XCharge Server.
- In the server window, click Setup... and enter the administrator's credentials.
- Click Credit Cards, Connection tab.
- Add Processor Accounts Information for each clinic in Open Dental that will be using XCharge. For clarity, we recommend using the Open Dental clinic descriptions for the Processing Account Names.
Set a Default Processing Account for the Headquarters Clinic: If no clinic is selected for a payment (none), the default merchant account for the Headquarters clinic will be used, as long as the user is not restricted to a specific clinic. To set the default merchant account for headquarters, set the Headquarters processing account as the Default (Make this Account the Default for this Processor).
Create Clinic Users in X-Charge
Create clinic users in XCharge for each Open Dental clinic that will process payments with XCharge.
- Click General Options, Security tab.
- For each clinic, create an XCharge user with user name and password and select the Processing Account (merchant account) to use with the clinic.
- We recommend assigning the Open Dental clinic description as the XCharge Processing Account Name and the XCharge User Name.
- One clinic user must be the XCharge Administrator. This user can process payments using any merchant account. We recommend assigning the Administrator user to the Headquarters clinic in Open Dental (see below).
Administrator example: In this example, when the administrator credentials are entered in X-Charge, the user can process payment using any merchant account.
Clinic example: In this setup, when user Clinic2's credentials are entered into XCharge, the Clinic2 processing account will be used thus ensuring all payments for the clinic use the correct merchant account.
Enter Clinic Level XCharge Credentials in Open Dental
For each clinic, in Open Dental enter the XCharge username and password that will be used to log in to XCharge.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Program Links, then double-click XCharge from xcharge.com.
- Enter the Program Path to the XCharge.exe.
- Check Enabled (affects all clinics) to enable XCharge for all clnics. Unchecking disables XCharge for all clinics. If the currently logged on user is restricted by clinic, only the clinic they have access to will show in the Clinic dropdown and they will not be allowed to uncheck the Enabled box.
- Clinic Payment Settings: Set the payment settings for Headquarters first.
- Select Headquarters as the clinic.
- Enter username and password supplied by XCharge (as set in Create Clinic Users in XCharge above).
- Select the default payment type for XCharge transactions. Customize options in Definitions: Payment Types.
- Check Prompt signature on CC trans by default to prompt patients for a signature on the credit card terminal before completing transactions. The terminal must support electronic signatures.
- Check Print receipts by default to automatically print a receipt to the default receipt Printer when a transaction is completed.
- Recurring charge list force duplicates by default: By default, duplicate charges to the same card, on the same day, for the same amount will be denied. This is to prevent accidentally charging a card twice. Check this box to allow duplicate charges on the same card by default. Used if family members have CC Recurring Charges setup on the same credit card.
- Prevent saving new cards: Uncheck to allow users to process new transactions or save new payment information to a patient's account. Check to prevent users from processing new transactions or saving new payment information.
- (optional) To enable Online Patient Portal Payments, enter XWeb settings.
- Check Enable XWeb for patient portal payments.
- Enter the XWeb ID (12 digits).
- Enter the AuthKey (32 digits).
- Enter the Terminal ID (8 digits).
- Enter payment settings for each clinic. Headquarter settings will be used if clinic-specific changes are not made. For clinics not using XCharge, select the clinic, then clear out the username and password. When the clinic is attached to a payment, the XCharge button will not be visible.
Note: Note: If the Headquarters username and password is the same as one or more other clinics, and the username and/or password is modified for Headquarters, the edits will affect the other clinics as well. To unlink them (assign different usernames/passwords), simply change the username or password for the clinic(s). Then changes made to Headquarters credentials will no longer affect the clinic.
- Click OK to save settings.
To set whether or not new credit and debit cards are saved to a patient's account after each transaction, see Account Module Preferences, Automatically store credit card tokens.