Patients can make online payments using the Patient Portal Feature and XCharge (OpenEdge), or PayConnect. Payments can be made with or without logging into the portal.
How it works:
- Enable online payments for the practice/clinic in Open Dental and provide patients a way to access the online payments interface (see below).
- Patient makes payment (with or without logging in to the portal).
Patient Portal: What Patient Sees
- In Open Dental, staff is alerted that online patient payments are pending.
- Staff processes patient payment in Open Dental.
Also see Patient Portal Transactions.
Set up Online Patient Payments
- Set up payment processor:
- XCharge (OpenEdge): On the XCharge Setup window, enable X-Web for patient portal payments and enter the X-Web account settings.
- PayConnect: On the PayConnect Setup window, enter your Username and Password, enable Patient Portal Payments, and click Generate to create a Token.
- In eServices Signup, More Settings tab, select Make Payments as a portal feature.
- Provide patients with a URL to access the online patient payment interface. There are several options:
- On your website, provide a link to the Hosted Payment URL or Hosted URL. These URLs are visible on the Patient Portal Setup window. The Hosted URL directs patients to the Patient Portal Sign in window. The Hosted Payment URL directs patients to an online payment interface. They must verify their personal information, then can enter payment information. Patients do not need to log in to the patient portal.
- On statements, add the [statementURL] or [statementShortURL] output text field. See Statement Layout. These URLs launch the Patient Portal Sign in window where patients can log in to view an online version of the statement or make a payment.
- When generating statements from the Billing List, also trigger text messages that include a clickable URL to the Patient Portal Sign in window. Include the [StatementURL] or [StatementShortURL] variable in the text message to insert the clickable link (Billing Defaults). Only statements with modes that match selected Sent text messages to these modes (Billing) will receive a text message, as long as the patient is eligible to receive text messages. Integrated Texting Feature must be enabled.
Process Online Patient Payments
Payments made via the portal must be processed in Open Dental. This allows you to make payment splits, attach procedures, and/or attach the payment to a payment plan.
When the logged-in user is subscribed to Online Payments Pending Alerts, the Alerts menu item in the main menu will indicate when online patient payments are pending. The menu item will highlight yellow when the alert is new and unread.
- A pending payment is a payment that has not been marked processed in Open Dental. The charge itself is immediately processed with the credit card provider when the patient makes the payment.
- To mark the alert as read, select Mark As Read. This will reset the Alert () count and turn off the yellow highlight.
- To open the Pending Online Payments window, click Open Pending Online Payments. This will also mark the alert as read, reset the Alert () count, and turn off the yellow highlight.
- Credit cards token information for online payments is safely saved on the Credit Card Manage window.
To process payments:
- In the Main Menu, click Alerts, Pending Online Payments, Open Pending Online Payments, or click Tools, Pending Online Payments.
To update the list of Payments Needing Processing, click Refresh. To open a patient's account, right click on a row, then click Go to Account.
- If using Clinics, select the clinic. Only payments for the selected clinic will show. Users can only view payments for clinics they have access to.
- Double-click a pending payment to open the Payment window.
- Review the payment information.
- Create paysplits if desired.
- Check the Mark as Processed box.
- Click OK to process the payment.
- When all pending payments are processed, click Close.
Problem: In the portal, patients do not see the Balance Est and Make Payment button.
Solutions: First make sure a statement has been generated. If that is not the reason, check that online payments are setup correctly (Check X-Web settings and make sure payments are enabled).
Problem: OTK Creation Failed: Authentication Error
Solution: Check your X-Web credentials. See XCharge Setup.
Problem: A void fails.
Solution: The transaction may not be eligible for a void. Process a return instead.