Patients can make online payments via XCharge / OpenEdge and the Patient Portal. Payments can be made with or without logging into the portal.
How it works:
- Enable online payments for the practice/clinic in Open Dental and provide patients a way to access the online payments interface (see below).
- Patient makes payment (with or without logging into the portal).
- In Open Dental, staff is alerted that online patient payments are pending.
- Staff processes patient payment in Open Dental.
This pages includes instructions for the following:
- Set up Online Payments
- Process Online Payments
- Manage XWeb transactions
- Void a Payment
- Process Returns
Set up Online Patient Payments
- Set up XCharge / OpenEdge. On the XCharge Setup window, enable X-Web for patient portal payments and enter the X-Web account settings.
- In Patient Portal Features, More Settings, select Make Payments as a portal feature. See Setting up the Patient Portal.
- Provide patients with a URL to access the online patient payment interface. There are several options:
- On your website, provide a link to the Hosted Payment URL or Hosted URL. These URLs are visible on the Patient Portal Setup window. The Hosted URL directs patients to the patient portal login window. The Hosted Payment window directs patients to an online payment interface. They must verify their personal information, then can enter payment information. Patients do not need to log in to the patient portal.
- On statements, add the [statementURL] or [statementShortURL] output text field. See Customizing a Statement Using Sheets. These fields generate a link on statements to a statement-specific payment interface. When patients click the link, they must first verify their personal information. Then they can view statement balance and make payment (without logging into the portal), or view the statement by logging in to the portal.
- When generating statements from the Billing List, also trigger text messages that include a clickable URL to an online payment interface. Include the [StatementURL] or [StatementShortURL] variable in the text message to insert the clickable link (Billing Defaults). Only statements with modes that match selected Sent text messages to these modes (Billing Options) will receive a text message, as long as the patient is eligible to receive text messages. Integrated Texting must be enabled.
Process Online Patient Payments
Payments that have been made via the portal must be processed in Open Dental. This allows you to make payment splits, attach procedures, and/or attach the payment to a payment plan.
When the logged in user is subscribed to Online Payments Pending Alerts, the Alerts menu item in the main menu will indicate when online patient payments are pending. The menu item will highlight yellow when the alert is new and unread.
- A pending payment is a payment that has not been marked processed in Open Dental. The charge itself is immediately processed with the credit card provider when the patient makes the payment.
- To mark the alert as read, select Mark As Read. This will reset the Alert () count and turn off the yellow highlight.
- To open the Pending Online Payments window, click Open Pending Online Payments. This will also mark the alert as read, reset the Alert () count, and turn off the yellow highlight.
- Credit cards token information for online payments is safely saved on the Credit Card Manage Window.
To process payments:
- In the Main Menu, click Alerts, Pending Online Payments, Open Pending Online Payments, or click Tools, Pending Online Payments.
To update the list of Payments Needing Processing, click Refresh. To open a patient's account, right click on a row, then click Go to Account.
- If using Clinics, select the clinic. Only payments for the selected clinic will show. Users can only view payments for clinics they have access to.
- Double click a pending payment to open the Payment Window.
- Review the payment information.
- Create pay splits if desired.
- Check the Mark as Processed box.
- Click OK to process the payment.
- When all pending payments are processed, click Close.
Manage XWeb Transactions
All transactions made using XWeb can be viewed in Open Dental. From here you can also process voids and returns.
In the main menu, click Tools, XWeb Transactions.
All transactions that match the entered From/To Date and selected clinic will list.
From/To Dates: Determines the date range of transactions. The default date range is today.
Clinic: If using Clinics, select the clinic. Only transactions for the selected clinic will show. Users can only view transactions for clinics they have access to.
Right click on a transaction to select other options:
- Go To Account: Open the patient's Account module.
- Open Payment: Open the Payment window for this transaction.
- Void Payment: Void the transaction.
- Process Return: Issue a refund.
Void a Payment
If a transaction is eligible for a void, the payment can be voided from the XWeb Transactions window or the Payment window.
- From the XWeb Transactions window, right click on the transaction and select Void Payment. From the Payment window, click Void.
- A confirmation message will open.
- Click Yes to process the void.
If unsuccessful, an error will show. The most common cause of a failure is because the transaction is not longer within the eligible time frame. In these cases, process a return instead.
Process a Return
To issue a refund to a patient, follow these steps:
- From the XWeb Transactions window, right click on the transaction and select Process Return. From the Payment window, click Return.
The card information will auto populate and cannot be changed.
- Enter the amount of the return and a payment note.
- Click OK.
Problem: In the portal, patients do not see the Balance Est and Make Payment button.
Solutions: First make sure a statement has been generated. If that is not the reason, check that online payments are setup correctly (Check X-Web settings and make sure payments are enabled).
Problem: OTK Creation Failed: Authentication Error
Solution: Check your X-Web credentials. See XCharge Setup (one set of credentials).
Problem: A void fails.
Solution: The transaction may not be eligible for a void. Process a return instead.