HIE (Health Information Exchange) Setup allows practices to determine the setting for generating and exporting Continuity of Care Documents (CCDs).
In the Main Menu, click Setup, Advanced Setup, HIE.
Also see EHR Continuity of Care Document ( CCD ).
- Clinic: Determines the HIE settings for the selected clinic.
- Is Enabled: Check to enable the automatic export of CCDs.
- Is Medicaid Only: Determines which insurance plans are eligible for CCDs.
- Checked: Only create CCDs for patients with Medicaid insurance plans. A Medicaid plan is defined as a plan with an Electronic Payer ID marked as Is Medicaid.
- Unchecked: Allow CCDs for any insurance plan.
- Export CCD Path: Enter the path to export CCDs to. Click [...] to browse for a folder.
- Export CCD Time of Day: Enter the time of day to export CCDs. The Open Dental Service is required for CCDs to be created and exported. The Open Dental Service processes HIE queues every 5 minutes for 1 hour beginning at the time entered.
HIE and CCD Logic
Before a CCD is generated, the information is placed in the HIE Queue. The actions below trigger a new HIE Queue row.
In the Appointments Module, a hiequeue is created for the patient when:
- Appointment rescheduled: A scheduled appointment is moved from one time slot to another, a Planned or Unscheduled appointment is moved from the Pinboard to the Schedule.
- Set Appointment Complete: Use the Complete toolbar button or right-click menu to set an appointment complete.
- Appointment deleted: Use the Delete toolbar button or right-click menu to delete an appointment.
- Send to Unscheduled List: Use the Unsched toolbar button or right-click menu send an appointment to the Unscheduled List.
- Break Appointment: Use the Break toolbar button or right-click menu to break an appointment
When clicking OK from the Edit Appointment window a hiequeue is created for the patient if:
- The status of the appointment is set to Broken.
- Clicking the Delete button.
- A new appointment is created.
- An existing appointment is edited.
A hiequeue row is created when a patient is added:
CCDs are only created for a patient if they have information queued, and the following is true:
- The feature is enabled.
- A valid export path is entered.
- They meet the insurance criteria.
- If Is Medicaid Only is checked, the patient has a medicaid insurance plan.
- The Export CCD Time of Day has passed. CCDs are only generated once a day at the run time.
Note: Any errors that occur during the processing of outstanding HIE queues are logged. The name of the directory is HieQueue and is located in the logger directory of the Open Dental Service.