In the Time Clock, click Manage to view all employee time cards at once.
Time card management is only available to users with the Edit All Timecards security permission. Calculations correspond with ADP format requirements for offices that use ADP for payroll.
Time card management tasks that are covered on this page:
- Time Card Options
- Adding Holiday Hours or Additional Overtime to an Employee's Time Card
- Calculating Daily and Weekly Totals
- Running Payroll Reports
- Printing Time Cards
- Hour Calculation Logic
Setup: Access Time Card Setup.
Reports: Run payroll reports.
- Print Grid: Print the Employee Time Cards grid.
- Export Grid: Export the grid data as a txt file to a location on your computer. When the export is complete, a message will show indicating the file name.
- Export ADP: Export the time card data in ADP format (csv file) to a location on your computer. If any errors are detected, you will receive a notification. When the export is complete, a message will show indicating the file name. To include the employee name when exporting, see Manage Module Preference, ADP export includes employee name.
Pay Period: Click the right/left arrows to move back or forward a pay period. The Start, End, and Paycheck dates will automatically change to reflect the pay period.
Clinic: If using Clinics, select the clinic to manage time cards for. The logged-on user can only manage time cards for clinics they have access to. The default is determined by the clinic selected in the main menu, Clinics. All employees who have clock events for the selected clinic will list.
Employee Time Cards grid: Each row represents an employee's time card for the pay period. Employees are listed in alphabetical order by last name. Only employees who have at least one clock in/out event during the pay period will list. Adjustments alone do not cause an employee's time card to show.
- Total Hrs: Total number of hours worked (regular, overtime, and differential).
- Rate 1: The number of regular hours worked.
- Rate 2: The number of regular differential hours worked.
- Rate 1 OT: The number of regular overtime hours worked.
- Rate 2 OT: The number of overtime differential hours worked.
Clear Manual Adjusts: Clear any manually entered adjustments made to a clock event for selected employees.
Clear Auto Adjusts: Clear any daily or weekly adjustments made when Daily or Weekly is clicked.
Daily: Calculate total hours worked each day for all employees, taking into account rules for overtime, differential hours, and your preference for breaks over 30 minutes. Adjustments will be made within a clock event; new rows will not be created.
Note: When running Daily Calculations the current day will be excluded if it falls within the pay period being calculated.
Weekly: Calculate overtime for all employees (more than 40 hours in a week).
Note: Take note of any clock event notes and any errors that need to be fixed before running calculations.
Print All: Print all time cards at once. Only the first 23 characters of a note will show on printed time cards.
Print Selected: Only print time cards for selected employees. Press Ctrl + click to select multiple employees.
Other Time Card Options
Time Card Security Options, Security Window.
- Time Card Security Enabled: Makes the checkbox for Users cannot edit their own time card active.
- Users cannot edit their own time card: If checked, individual users cannot make changes to their own time card. Most offices keep this box unchecked, because it is useful when employees can make notes and fix errors. Error fixing is tracked well in time cards. This setting overrides the permission Edit All Time Cards.
- Edit All Time Cards: Users with this permission can access the Time Card Manage window and edit everyone's time card. Normally only the office manager or administrator will have this permission.
- Timecard Delete Entry: Users with this permission can delete time card entries.
Time Card Calculations Options:
- Create pay periods and rules for overtime, differential pay, allowed clock in times (Time Card Setup).
- Manage Module Preferences, Allow paid 30 minute breaks: Determines whether breaks that exceed 30 minutes are calculated as paid or unpaid.
- Manage Module Preferences: Set the first day of the week used to calculate weekly overtime (over 40 hours). The default is Sunday.
Time Format Options: In Time Card Setup, select the format for time (decimal or colon format), and whether colon format shows seconds.
Add Adjustments to a Time Card
Manually enter adjustments to account for holiday hours, additional overtime, etc. These adjustments create a separate row in the time card.
- On the Manage Time Card window, double click on an employee to open their time card.
- Click Add Adjustments.
- Select Manually entered to indicate this adjustment was entered manually and protects this adjustment from being deleted from auto deletion.
- Date/Time Entry: Verify the date and time the adjustment is being entered. Defautls to today's date and the current time. Date/time determines the sort order of the adjustment on the time card.
- Hours: Enter the number of hours to add to the time card. If removing hours, enter a negative number.
- Overtime Adjustment: Check this box when this is an adjustment to account for overtime. Calculations totals will deduct the entered hours from regular time and transfer to overtime.
- Note: Enter any notes about the adjustment.
- Click OK to save.
Calculate Daily and Weekly Totals
At the end of each pay period, calculate regular and overtime hours. Calculations can be run for all employees at once or per time card.
- Check employee time cards for errors (e.g. no missing clock-in/out events). Add any manual adjustments. Correct any time card errors. See Time Card Edit.
- Calculate total hours worked each day, taking into account rules for overtime, differential hours, and your preference for breaks over 30 minutes. Adjustments will be made within a clock event; new rows will not be created.
- To calculate for all employees, click Daily.
- To calculate for a single employee, click Calc Daily on their time card. If you don't like the results, edit the rules in Time Card Setup and run it again. Overrides can be made to individual clock events.
- Calculate weekly overtime for employees who worked more than 40 hours in a week.
- To calculate for all employees, click Weekly.
- To calculate for a single employee, click Calc Weekly OT on their time card. If the total hours for an employee in a week is over 40, an additional adjustment row will be added for overtime hours. The weekly calculation will cross pay periods.
If using clinics, total hours and overtime hours are assigned by clinic.
Hour Calculation Logic
The math behind time card hour calculations is explained below.
Total hours = all hours worked (includes regular, overtime and differential (Rate 2) hours.
OT hours = overtime hours
Rate 1 hours = hours paid at the regular rate
Rate 2 hours = hours paid at the differential rate
Rate 1 hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) * Regular hours
Rate 2 hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) - Rate 1 hours
So Rate 2 hours + Rate 1 hours = Regular hours
Rate 1 OT hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) * OT hours
Rate 2 OT Hours = (1 - Rate 2/Total hours) - (Rate 1 + Rate 2 + Rate 1 OT hours)