Secure WebMail Feature
The SecureWebMail Feature allows PHI to be communicated in a secure, HIPAA-compliant way through the Patient Portal.
Communicating with patients and other providers in a HIPAA-compliant way is a critical priority for any practice.
WebMail can be used in the following scenarios.
Provider sends WebMail to patient
- Provider sends a secure WebMail to a patient. See WebMail.
- The patient receives an email notification indicating that a secure message is waiting for them in the portal.
- The patient logs in to the portal using their credentials. In the portal, they can view, reply to, and send new WebMails. See Patient Portal: What Patient Sees.
Patient sends WebMail to provider
Secure WebMails sent to a provider can be viewed when the provider is logged in to Open Dental. They are viewable in the Email Client and Chart module.
- Patient logs in to the Patient Portal and composes a new WebMail to their primary provider.
- Provider logs in to Open Dental. An Alert displays unread WebMail messages.
- The WebMail can be seen in the provider's WebMail Inbox or the Chart Module.
Provider sends WebMail to another provider
You can also securely exchange patient information with another provider using WebMail and the Patient Portal.
- Create a patient record for the provider. The following fields are required:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Address Information
- Assign a primary provider (the provider who will send the messages).
- Grant Portal Access to the provider.