Install the trial version to evaluate Open Dental or as the first step when installing the full version of Open Dental. The trial version is fully functional, except there is a 30 patient limit and it uses temporary procedure codes (T Codes instead of D Codes). If you have any problems at all, please call us immediately
and we will help you. 503-363-5432.
If you already have installed a licensed version, do not install the trial version. See Installing
on a Workstation or call us instead.
View User Testimonials for existing customer feedback.
- For operating system requirements, see Computer Requirements.
- The download includes a blank opendental database
and a demo database with fictional patients.
- Copyrighted CDT content (e.g. CDT codes and ADA claim forms) are not included in the trial.
- If you are installing in Canada, set the Region and Language Settings on your computer to Canada before installing .
- The trial version is not EHR certified.
- The trial version will not work if MariaDB is installed on the server computer.
- Ensure MySQL is not already installed on the server. See MySQL.
If you have a slow internet connection, and no way to get a faster connection, we can send you a CD of the Trial Version by regular mail which
will arrive in 1 to 3 days, depending on what part of the country
you are in. If you need it faster, we can send it FedEx overnight for the cost of shipping. FedEx shipments go out every day at 4:00
Pacific time. However, please be aware that a highspeed internet connection is almost a requirement for Open Dental because that is one of the main ways we provide quality support.
Download and Installation
There are two types of installation: to a server or to a workstation.
- Server: Installs the Open Dental program, mySQL, the database, and the OpenDentImages folder.
- Workstations: If you have multiple computers, workstations only need the Open Dental program installed. Each workstation will connect to the server to access mySQL, the database and the OpenDentImages folder.
Installation to a Server
Webinar: Installing the Trial Version on a Server.
- Click on this link: TrialDownload-18-3-32.exe.
- Wait about three minutes for the download to complete, then Show in folder.
- Right click on the downloaded file and Run as administrator. Be patient and wait for about 20 seconds.
- Warning may display that Windows protected your PC. Click More info. Click Run anyway.
- Make sure all checkboxes are marked. The opendental Database path (C:\mysql\data\) must be a local path; not a network path (e.g. should not be to another computer or NAS). The installer will install MySQL version 5.5.
- At the lower right, click Install.
- Follow the directions carefully. When you reach the MySQL Server Setup window, uncheck the 'Launch the MySQL Instance Configuration Wizard' box then click Finish.
- You will be prompted to create a MySQL password.
This step is optional. If you choose to create a MySQL username and password, do not lose them. They will need to be entered on every workstation from the Choose Database screen. See MySQL Security for a more detailed explanation.
- If you will install the Trial version on other workstations connected to the server, follow these steps on the server:
a. Share the Open DentImages Folder.
b. Add an exception to the Windows Firewall. See Open Port 3306.
- On the desktop, right click on the Open Dental icon and run as administrator to open the program.
- On the Choose Database window, enter the server name (localhost or computer name) and select the database to connect to.
- opendental (a blank database that allows up to 30 patients)
- demo (contains fictional patients and providers).
- Set the OpenDentImages path to a UNC path.
Click Setup, Data Paths.
Enter the UNC path to the OpenDentImages folder on the server so other workstations can access it.
Hints: If you need to install the MySQL program to D:\ or to any location other than default, you must:
1) change the install path in the installer window and;
2) choose 'Custom' in the MySQL installer, change the path to the desired path, and choose not to install the server data.
To change the location where the database or OpenDentImages folder is installed, change the Installation Locations in the Installer window (last two options).
When installing a new trial database, if an 'opendental' database already exists, the new database will be renamed to prevent accidental deletion of the existing database. The new name will have the current date appended, followed by a counter for each new copy made on the same day (e.g. opendental_20160329_2).
Installation to a Workstation
Follow these instructions to install the trial version to workstations connected to the server.
See Also: Webinar: Installing the Trial Version on a Workstation
- Download and save this file: TrialDownload-18-3-32.exe.
- Right click on the downloaded file and Run as administrator. Be patient and wait for about 20 seconds for the Open Dental Installer window to open.
- Click Workstation, then click Install.
- Follow the directions carefully. When installation is complete, close the installer.
- Right click on the Open Dental icon and Run as admininstrator.
- On the Choose Database window, enter the name of the server and select the database. If you created a MySQL username and password on the server, enter those details as well.
- (optional) Check the 'Do not show this window on startup' to hide the Choose Database window the next time Open Dental starts.
Hint: To enhance Tooth Chart Graphics, in the Main Menu, click Graphics, then change the preference to Direct X or Open GL.
When you are ready to purchase Open Dental and Update to the Full Version, contact a Support Technician.
Problem: Receive an error message after the installation of MySQL.
It's probably because you did not right click, Run as Administrator.
- Run the installer again by right clicking on the downloaded file, then clicking Run as Administrator.
- Uncheck the Open Dental Program and MySQL server boxes on the Installer window. You have already successfully installed them.
- Click Install.
Problem: Installer or the program won't start up at all.
You probably need to install dot Net.
See Troubleshooting if you are still having problems, or give us a call.
Trial Version Improvements