Web Sched New Patient: Sign up and Set up
This page explains how to set up Web Sched New Patient.
- Sign up for Web Sched Recall. In version 17.1 and greater, use the eServices Signup Portal. For all other versions, contact Open Dental.
- Update to the latest stable version.
- Set up the eConnector (only needs to be done once, shared by all eServices).
- Define Web Sched New Patient settings (operatories, procedures on the appointment, etc.). Instructions are below.
- Provide access to Web Sched New Patient via your own website (via hyperlink by embedding the hosted URL in an iframe).
Note: Only patients who don't have a patient record yet and who are 18 years of age and older can schedule appointments using Web Sched New Patients.
Sign up for Web Sched New Patient (Signup Portal)
To sign up, the logged on user must have Full Access (Security Admin permission).
- In the main menu, click eServices, Signup to open the eServices Signup Portal.
- The Basic View tab is active by default when there is only one location.
- The Advanced View is active by default when there are multiple locations.
- If in Basic View, select the clinic first (upper left corner).
- Hover over Web Sched New Patient to view service details.
The Hosted URL
is the link patients will use to schedule their first appointment. Click the icon on the left to copy the URL for use elsewhere. Also see Provide Access to the Hosted URL below.
- Check the Web Sched New Patient sign up box to turn on the service. If in Advanced View, check the box for each clinic that will use Web Sched New Patient. The Total amounts will update to reflect the new charges.
- Click Save to save settings. New charges will be reflected within two billing cycles.
Web Sched New Patient Settings
Settings determine operatories where appointments can be scheduled, the procedures on new appointments, and the appointment message.
- In the main menu, click eServices, Web Sched tab, then New Patient Appts.
- Appointment Length: Set the appointment length for all new patient appointments. / = assistant time, X = provider time. The time increment of each / and X is determined by the Time Increment of the schedule. Note: Procedure time pattern will not affect appointment length.
- Search for openings after [ ] days: Enter the number of days in the future to search for the first available openings. Leave blank to include all available openings. For example, when 5 is entered, the first available opening offered to a new patient will be five days in the future. When left blank, an opening in the next 30 minutes could be offered.
- Procedures: All procedures that will be attached to a new patient appointment will list. To add a procedure:
- Click Add to open the Procedure Code List.
- Double click a procedure to select it.
To remove a procedure, highlight it then click Remove.
- Operatories Considered: All operatories marked as 'Is New Patient Appt' are listed. These operatories will be considered when determining open time slots for new patient appointments. Double click a row to change an operatory's properties in Operatory Setup.
- Appointment Message: This message can be customized to provide helpful guidance to patients within the Web Sched New Patient interface. By default the message is:
Your first dental appointment with us will include a comprehensive exam, xrays and a consultation with the dentist. The dentist will provide treatment options, recommend care and address any remaining questions.
- Ignore Blockout Types: By default, Web Sched Recall will not consider Blockouts as available time. However, you can allow scheduling during specific blockout times by 'ignoring' a blockout type.
Click Edit to open a list of all blockout types.
Highlight any blockout types to ignore (Web Sched Recall appointments can be scheduled in the blockout).
c. Click OK.
- Appointment Types: In the interface, patients can choose a reason for the appointment using a dropdown. The options available depend on the Web Sched New Patient Appt Types that are set up. When no options are setup, this dropdown does not show.
Provide Access to the Hosted URL
When you sign up for the service, you will be issued a unique URL patients will use to schedule their first appointment. It is linked your registration key. If using Clinics, a URL is issued for each clinic signed up for Web Sched New Patients, and for headquarters.
To allow patients to schedule their new appointment online, you need to provide access to the URL. There are two options:
Option 1: Add a hyperlink from your practice website
Add a hyperlink to the URL from your practice website. Patients then simply visit your website and click the link to schedule their appointment.
Example: <a href ="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251">Schedule Appt<a>
Option 2: Embed the hosted URL in an iframe on your website
Embedding the URL in an iframe will give the appearance of having Web Sched New Patient on your webpage instead of going to a different link.
Example: <iframe class="frame" src="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251"></iframe>
Change the interface color
By default, the Web Sched New Patient interface is blue. To change the color simply add &TCP=color to the end of the hosted URL. Replace 'color' with the color name or hex value. If using a hex value, replace the hash (#) with a period (.)
<a href ="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&TCP=green">Schedule Appt<a>
<iframe class="frame" src="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&TCP=.507C77"></iframe>
To redirect the patient to a different URL after scheduling the appointment, add &ReturnURL=http://www.website.com to the end of the hosted URL in the code. Patients will then be redirected to the URL instead of seeing the standard 'Appointment Booked' message.
<a href="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&ReturnURL=http://www.opendental.com">Schedule Appt<a>
- In the Hosted URL grid, double click a URL to open it in a browser window, or right click and select Navigate to URL on the web browser.
- In the Hosted URL grid, right click and select Copy URL to clipboard to copy it for use elsewhere.
Q & A
Q: Why do I see 'Error Retrieving URLs' in the Hosted URL title bar?
A: This message shows when you haven't yet enabled Web Sched New Patient, or when there are connection issues with the eConnector (e.g. internet is down).
Preview Available Time Slots
Under Available Times for Patients, preview open time slots for a location.
- Highlight the location under Hosted URL.
- Enter the start date of the preview. Click Today to insert today's date.
Up to one month of available openings will list.
Web Sched New Patient Logic
Below are details and information that affect Web Sched New Patient appointment openings, provider assignment, and appointment details.
New Patients: Before allowing a patient to schedule a new patient appointment, Web Sched verifies that a record for the patient doesn't already exist.
- First it checks for a matching last name, first name, and birthdate. If no match, patient can schedule.
- If a match exists, Web Sched compares the entered email address to the email address of all family members for whom a record exists. If no match, patient can schedule.
- If a match exists, Web Sched compares the entered phone number to the phone number for all family members for whom a record exists. If no match, patient can schedule. If a match exists, patient cannot schedule.
- Providers are assigned based on the operatory the appointment is scheduled in. It is therefore important to assign a default provider to the operatory and/or assign the operatory to the provider's schedule time block.
- The provider's Schedule should extend as far into the future as you want to schedule appointments. You can't schedule appointments 6 months in the future if there is no schedule set 6 months out.
- The appointment schedule's Time Increment affects appointment start/end.
- The appointment length set on the New Patient Appts tab determines how long the appointment is.
- The procedures added on the New Patient Appts tab determine the procedures on the appointment.
Available time slots:
- Only operatories marked as 'Is New Pat Appt' are considered.
- Blockouts are only considered 'available' time when they are added to the 'ignore' list.
- There can be multiple operatories with openings. If there are multiple operatories with openings at the same time, the operatory on the farthest left of the schedule (order of 1) is selected.
Web Sched New Patient: What the Patient Sees