If insurance overpays and you send a refund, enter the refund in Open Dental as follows.
- In the Account Module, double click on the claim.
- Highlight the involved procedures, then click Supplemental at the upper right.
- Enter the refund amount as a negative amount for Ins Pay (e.g. -10), then click OK.
- Click Finalize Payment, then create the payment for the negative amount and attach the claim.
This will correct the patient account balance making the patient responsible for the previous overpayment. If you do not want the patient to be responsible for the amount, enter a negative adjustment to subtract the amount from the account balance (Adjustments).
If insurance deducts the refund amount from a different claim payment (e.g. a different patient's payment) handle it as follows.
- For patient A's claim (the patient the refund should apply to), enter a negative supplemental payment (see steps 1 - 4 above).
- For patient B's claim (the patient insurance deducted the refund amount from):
- Receive the claim payment (and finalize the payment), subtracting the refund amount as needed.
- Enter a supplemental payment (and finalize the payment) for the refund amount.