Batch Insurance Payments
Batch insurance payment entry is useful when there are many claims on a single EOB or when multiple people enter payments at the same time. There are two ways to enter batch payments.
- In the Manage module, Batch Ins, create the payment, then receive and attach claims.
- In the Account module, receive the claims. See Receive Claims. Then in the Manage module, Batch Ins create the payment and attach the claims.
Supplemental payment amounts can only be 'received' in the Account module. See Supplemental Payments. Once received, it can be attached to a batch payment.
Create the Payment and Attach Claims
- In the Manage module, click Batch Ins.
Payments already entered are listed. If a payment has only been partially entered, an X shows in the Partial column. Simply double click a payment to continue. If the EOB has been scanned, an X shows in the Scanned column.
To filter the list of payments, select criteria at the top, then click Refresh:
- From/To Date: Filter by payment date. The default range is the last 10 days.
- Clinic: If using Clinics, filter by payment clinic.
- Payment Group: Filter by claim payment group.
- Click Add to create a new payment.
- Enter the payment information, then click OK.
- Clinic: See Clinics.
- Payment Type: Options can be customized in Setup, Definitions, Insurance Payment Types.
- Payment Group: Typically used to group payments when multiple people are entering payments at once. Options can be customized in Definitions, Claim Payment Groups.
- Payment Date: Defaults to today's date.
- Issue Date: Optional.
- Amount: The total amount of the payment.
- Check# and Bank-Branch: Optional, but useful for reporting.
- Carrier Name: Click Pick to select from the Insurance Carrier List, or type a name.
- Note: A general note.
- Prepaid Insurance Cards
Payment Details: Information entered on the previous window. Click Edit to change.
All Outstanding Claims: All claims with a 'sent' status for the insurance carrier.
- Claims are sorted first by carrier, then by patient.
- Claims that haven't been 'received' will have a payment of 0.
If there is a payment amount, the claim has been 'received' but not attached to a payment.
- To filter by a different carrier, enter the name in the Carrier field and click Refresh. If you think you are missing a claim, search for a similar carrier (e.g. if BCBS, search for Blue Cross or similar).
- To filter by patient last or first name, enter the name in the Last Name or First Name field, then click Refresh.
- To attach claims that haven't been received:
If a claim is already received, simply highlight the claim, then click Attach.
- Double click on the claim to open the Edit Claim window.
- Receive the claim by procedure or by total amount. See Receive Claims.
- Click OK on the Edit Claim window. The claim will automatically move to the Attached to this Payment grid and the Total Payment amount will auto-calculate.
- Right click, then click Go To to quickly jump to the the Account module with that specific Claim highlighted.
- To sort claims in the Attached to this Payment grid (e.g in the order of the EOB), click the Up/Down arrows on the far left. By default claims are sorted in the order the claims were entered.
- Click Attach/Detach to add or remove claims from the Attached to this Payment grid.
- Click View to Scan the EOB.
- When the correct claims are attached, and the payment Amount and Total Payments match, click Close.
If payment amounts don't match, then clicking Close marks the batch payment as "partial". Simply double click a partial batch payment to continue.
When payment amounts match, clicking Close locks the payment. To make changes, you must delete the batch payment and reenter.
Batch insurance payments can be accessed from the Batch Insurance window, or viewed by claim via the Account module (Edit Claim window).
Questions & Answers
Q: What if I cannot enter (receive) all of the claims that make up my bulk check/payment and I need to leave for the day?
A: Do not finalize the payment until you finish receiving all the claims. This way all claim payments will have the same payment date.
Q: We have multiple people entering payments. How can we make sure the payments balance?
A: Assign payment groups to each payment. This will group payments together. Then run the Daily Payments Report by payment group.