The Merge Patients tool can be used to merge duplicate patient accounts into one. Patient first name, last name, and birthdate do not need to match.
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Misc Tools, Merge Patients.
- Patient to merge into: Click Change to select the patient accounts that will remain. If you bridge to an imaging software, the patient account linked to the images should be retained.
- Patient to merge from: Click Change to select the patient accounts that will be merged into the top patient.
- Click Merge. A message will show when the merge is successful.
- If the patient first name, last name, and birthdate do not match, a warning message will pop up. Click Yes to merge the patients anyway, or No to cancel.
After the merge:
- The status of the merged from patient will change to Archived. The patient can still be accessed via the Select Patient window by selecting Show Archived/Deceased and Show Merged Patients. They will also still show in the in the Family module, Family Member list.
- Duplicate information (e.g. insurance, recall) will need manual cleanup.
- If user attempts to schedule an appointment for the merged from patient, he will be prompted to switch patients.
- History for both the merge from and to patient can be viewed in the Audit Trail.
- As a second step, consider deleting the patient in the Family module.