Open Dental has built-in accounting in the Manage Module that can be used independently by small offices. When set up correctly, certain transactions in Open Dental will automatically create accounting transactions in the Chart of Accounts.
You can also set up deposits to automatically create accounting transactions in QuickBooks. See QuickBooks
- Set up the Chart of Accounts
- Set up automatic deposit entries
- Set up automatic payment entries (e.g. for cash payments)
Managing Accounts and Transactions
To access the Accounting section, in the Manage Module, click Accounting.
Setup: Set up automated deposit entries and automated payment entries.
Lock: Lock all accounting entries on or before a specific date, e.g. when closing out the year.
Reports: Generate and print end of year reports.
- General Ledger Details: A list of all accounting transactions in a date range.
- Balance Sheet: Total asset, liability, and equity as of the date selected.
Add, Edit: Add new or edit (and mark inactive) existing account types.
Close: Close the Accounting window.
Chart of Accounts: A list of existing account types and their balance as of today's date.
- As of Date: Change to view balances on a different day and click Refresh.
- Today: Click to refresh the list to show current balances.
Include Inactive Accounts: Include or exclude accounts marked as inactive.
- Check: Shows inactive accounts and their balances as of the date selected.
- Uncheck: Hides inactive accounts and their balances. Unchecked by default.
Double click on an account to add, edit, and view transactions within an account.
If accounts for automatic payments are set up incorrectly, transactions may be attached to invalid accounts and you may receive an error when trying to view old payments. Follow these steps to identify and fix the transactions.
- Updating Open Dental Versions to version 13.1.55, 13.2.20, or 13.3.7 or greater.
- In the Main Menu, click Tools, Database Maintenance.
- Click Fix.
- A message in the log will indicate how many transaction have an invalid account: "Transactions found attached to an invalid account: X. All invalid transactions have been attached to the account called UNKNOWN. They need to be fixed manually."
- In the Manage module, click Accounting. A new account called UNKNOWN will show. Double click on it to view all transactions attached to an invalid account.
- For each transaction correct the account.
- Double click on the transaction.
- Uncheck the Simple box.
- In the Splits area, double click on the Unknown account.
- Click Change and select the correct account.
- Click OK to save the change and close the window.