If you are using version 16.2 or earlier, see Task Lists and Tasks (Version 16.2 and earlier).
Task lists and tasks are managed in the Tasks area. They can be used for office communications, reminders, appointment lists, patient lists, daily, weekly, or monthly check off lists, etc. A task list can include nested task lists or tasks.
Create Task Lists and User Inboxes
Create a Task
See also: Webinar: Introduction to Tasks and Task Lists
- Manage and view tasks in the Tasks area of your screen, or, in the Manage module, click Tasks.
- Click on a tab, and its task lists will show. If a task is added when the Open Tasks or Main tab is selected, the task will be added under the Main tab.
- Click on a task list in the Tasks grid to see the tasks within.
- Any task list with new tasks is flagged with an orange checkbox, and the number of new tasks appears in parentheses.
Task lists and tasks also have right click options to easily edit properties, cut, copy, paste, delete, subscribe, unsubscribe, Send to Me or Go To an attached patient or appointment.
There are six buttons across the top.
Options: View options for task lists.
Show Finished Tasks: Check to view tasks that have been marked Done in the selected task list.
Finished Task Start Date:
View tasks marked Done on or after this date. Enter any date in this field.
Sort appointment type task lists by AptDateTime: If checked, task lists that have
Object Type set as Appointment will sort by the appointment's date and time, not the date and time the task list was created. See Create Task Lists and User Inboxes.
Add TaskList: Create a new Task List.
Add Task: Create a new Task. Click the dropdown to add a reminder task.
Search: Search for specific tasks. Searching for Tasks
BlockSubsc: At a user level, block popups (and chime) when new tasks are added to a list you are subscribed to.
BlockInbox: At a user level, block popups (and chime) when new tasks are sent to your inbox. If you block popups, remember to check for new tasks under the New for User tab.
Useful for organization and task management.
- for User: Contains task lists that the current user is subscribed to. Typically includes a user's inbox.
- New for User: See the current user's new tasks and due reminders all at once.
- Open Tasks: Keep track of tasks that have an object type of 'Patient' and are 'From' the currently logged on user. This tab is only visible if 'Show open tasks for user' is checked in Task Setup.
- Patient Tasks: Keep track of tasks that have an object type of 'Patient' and a patient attached. When the attached patient is selected, their tasks will show in this list.
- Main: All shared task lists and inboxes.
- Reminders: View all task reminders regardless of due status. Reminders replace repeating tasks in 16.3 and greater. See Task Reminders for setup.
In 16.2 and earlier, repeating task tabs show by default. In 16.3 and later, enable or disable repeating task tabs in Task Setup.
Usually the Tasks area is docked at the bottom or right of the screen, but it can also be set to not appear on an individual computer. Resize the Tasks area by dragging the splitter (the horizontal bar between the tasks area and the rest of the screen). Set Permissions for editing and deleting tasks in Security.
- To change docking options, right click on the splitter, or click Setup, Task.
- Select an orientation. The task list will move to the selected docking option.
Task Popout Count
The task popout window displays the number of tasks in the selected task list. Hover over the Open Dental icon on the taskbar to view. Task count only shows when the tasks window is open and a task list or tab is selected.
Subscribe to a Task List
The first tab is always a tab for the current user, and it lists task lists subscribed to by the user. Users should always subscribe to their inbox, and can also subscribe to shared task lists.
- Log in to Open Dental with your user name.
- Click on the Main tab, right click on a task list, then select Subscribe. The task list will appear in the for 'User' tab, and all nested lists and tasks will also show. You can only subscribe to tasks listed under the Main tab.
To unsubscribe from a task list, right click on the list, then click Unsubscribe. You cannot subscribe to Repeating Task Lists.