Tasks can be added to a Task List or sent to a user Inbox. When a user is subscribed to a task list, new tasks added to that list will pop up. Manage tasks in the Tasks Area.
Create a Task
- There are two ways to create a task.
- In the Tasks area, click Add Task. To add the task to a specific task list, highlight the task list first.
- In the main Toolbar, click To Task List to attach the selected patient to the task, and send to a specific list. Select the Task List, then click OK.
- Enter new task information in the description field, or add a note to the existing task.
- New: A task starts out marked New. Click in the checkbox to unflag it and remove the New status.
- Done: When a task is complete, mark it as Done. Once done, a task disappears from the task list. A task that is marked done will automatically be marked not done if it is sent to another task list or a note is added to the task. To mark a task done from the Chart Module, right click on the task in the Progress Notes and select 'Set Complete'.
- Entry/Finished Dates: These fields are filled in automatically, but can also be quickly set by clicking Now.
- Reminder: Tasks are not reminders by default and have a default type of NoReminder. To change a task to be a reminder, select a type from the dropdown. See Task Reminders.
- From User: The name of the user who initiated this task. To change the user, click […].
- Task List: This field is filled in automatically and cannot be changed here. If a task list was selected first, the task list name appears. If this task is being sent to an inbox, it may be empty until you click Send To.
- Task Priority: Assign a priority to the task. Priority types can be added in Definitions: Task Priorities.
- History: View changes made to tasks throughout its lifetime. Only available if the user has TaskEdit Permission.
- Description: Enter the task description. This Text Box supports right click options:
- Right click wiki page links to open or create from a task description. Enable these features in Wiki setup. To create a wiki link in a task, use double brackets around the page title: [[Example Wiki Link]].
- Quick Paste Notes for tasks must have a category of Task, or they will not work as expected if using the ? shortcut.
- Auto Note: Add an Auto Note to the task description.
- Notes: If this is an existing task, click Add to enter comments or notes. To quickly copy the text of the original task, and any notes, click Copy. Right click a website URL in task notes to open it in an internet browser.
- Object Type: Attach a specific patient or appointment to the task.
- None: A regular task with no attachments.
- Patient: These tasks show in the Open Tasks or Patient Tasks tab. Click Change to select and attach a patient.
- Appointment: These tasks are associated with an Appointment. Click Change to select a patient, then select the appointment.
- Change: Attach a patient or appointment to the task. The attached item is dependent on the object type.
- Go To: Make the attached patient active. If appointment is the object type, jump to the patient's appointment.
- Copy: Copy the text of the original task and any notes.
- Add: Add a note to the task. This is a useful tool to track a task's status as it gets sent back and forth between users.
There is a splitter between the description text area and the Notes area. Drag the splitter up or down to shrink or expand the description area.
- When all task information is entered, you have three options:
- Click OK to send the task to the specified task list. Everyone subscribed to the task list will be notified of the new task.
- Click Send To, then select an inbox to send the task to.
- Click Reply to send the task to the last person who sent it.
Tasks attached to patients also show in the patient's Chart module, Progress Notes.
If a task is left open on the screen, it will automatically refresh if an edit is made or a note is added by another user.
Whenever a user is subscribed to a task list and a task is added, a
popup window shows, along with a chime sound. To block popups and chime at a user level, click Block Popups. Popups will be blocked for all subscribed lists except for the user's inbox. This preference will be remembered as the default on a per user basis. If blocked, remember to check for new tasks under the New for User tab.
Tracking New by User
There is an option to track new/viewed status by individual user. See Task Setup for more details.
Users with the TaskEdit permission can view a history of changes made to tasks. Click History.
Create Date: The original date of the task.
Edit Date: The date the change was made.
Editing User: The user who made the change.
Changes: A description of the change.