Task reminders can be used to remind staff of tasks that need to be done daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly. The reminder will show in a user's task list when it is due until it is marked done. Task reminders are an updated alternative to Repeating Tasks.
Task reminders show in three places:
- The user's task list when the reminder is due.
- Appointments Module, Reminders tab.
- Task Area, Reminder tab. See Reminder History below.
How Task Reminders Work
- Enable tasks and set up user inboxes and task lists. See Task Setup.
- Create a task reminder, setting date/time and repeat interval. See Create a Task Reminder below.
- When the reminder is due, it will appear in the task list. Mark the reminder 'done' to make it disappear until its next due date.
- When you no longer want the reminder to appear, change the repeat interval to 'none'.
- All users subscribed to the task list will receive the reminder until it is marked done.
- The time a task reminder appears will be based on the time it is created (Date/Time Entry). For example, a time entry of 3:45 pm will cause a daily reminder to appear at 3:45 pm each day.
- Reminders do not pop up but they are color coded.
- Task Priority determines color. By default priority Reminder, and the default color for task reminders is light orange. Edit defaults in Definitions: Task Priorities.
Create a Task Reminder
- In the Tasks Area, select the task list the reminder will show in, then click the Add Task dropdown, Reminder.
Or, click the Reminders tab then Add Task.
- Date/Time Entry: Enter the date/time you want the reminder to first appear. The default is today at the current time.
- In the Reminder area, select the repeat interval:
- Repeat: Select how often the reminder should appear: none, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly. To set a one-time reminder, select 'none'.
- Every __: Enter the repeat frequency. For example, 'Every 3 days', 'Every 2 weeks', 'Every 1 year'.
- Days: Only shows for weekly repeat interval. Select the day of the week the reminder should appear (M = Monday, T = Tuesday, W = Wednesday, R = Thursday, F = Friday, S = Saturday, U = Sunday.
- Repeat daily, every 1 day, will cause a reminder to appear every day.
- Repeat weekly, every 2 weeks, F, will cause a reminder to appear every 2 weeks on Friday.
- Repeat yearly, every 1 year, will cause a reminder to appear every year on the date.
- Task Priority: Select the task priority to organize reminders by importance. The default is Reminder with a color of light orange. Add options in Definitions: Task Priorities.
- Description: Enter the text of the reminder.
- If the Task List is already selected, click OK.
Or, click Send To, select the task list to send the reminder to and click OK.
Complete or Remove Task Reminders
To mark a task reminder as complete and remove it temporarily from your list until the next due date, mark it 'Done'.
To stop a task reminder from repeating, set the repeat interval to 'none'.
To permanently remove a task reminder from a task list, delete it.
Note: To view task reminders that have been marked 'Done', opt to Show Finished Tasks.
Task Reminder History
A history of task reminders shows under the Reminders tab, grouped by task list.
The list includes:
- New/viewed task reminders.
- Task reminders due in the future.
- Task reminders with a repeat interval of 'none'.
If Show Finished Tasks is selected, task reminders marked 'done' also show.
To view a history of all actions taken on a task reminder, open the task reminder and click History.
Create Date: The original date of the task.
Edit Date: The date the change was made.
Editing User: The user who made the change.
Changes: A description of the change.