Referrals for each patient show in the Family module, Patient Information area. There will be at least one referral row, possibly more. The referral cell color can be customized in Definitions, Misc Colors.
Referral Analysis Reports are also available, or add a Custom Report to the Reports menu dropdown.
Add a Referral from the Family Module
- In the Patient Information area, double click on the Referral row.
All referrals for one patient will list, both referred from and referred to.
- Click Referred From or Refer To.
- Single click on a referral in the master list and click OK to select. To add a referral, see Referral Setup.
- Double click the referral to enter details on the Edit Referral Attachment window. If EHR is turned on, this window will open automatically.
- From/To: The referral type.
- Name/Notes about referral source: Click Edit Referral to edit the name and notes (see Referral Setup). Click Change Referral to select a different referral source.
- Referring Provider: Only shows for referrals to. Click [..] to select from the Provider List, or None to clear the box. If this is a referral for an EHR Summary of Care, a referring provider must be selected.
- Date: The referral date.
- Order: Set the order the referral will show in the patient's list of referrals (1, 2, 3, etc). Usually each patient has one "referred from" item, and this is what you are interested in for Reporting. If there is more than one, the referral highest in the list is considered the primary referral and used for reporting.
- Status: Helps track Referred Procedures.
- Patient note: Notes specific to this patient. It is separate from the note above which is for the referral source itself.
- Referral Slips: A list of Referral Slips generated for this source. Double click a slip to open.
- Transition of Care: If this is a referral for a Summary of Care (EHR), this box should be checked.
- Procedure: If this is a Referred Procedure, this box will show procedure information. Enter a Status to help with tracking, and when the procedure is completed, enter the Date Proc Completed to allow report filtering.
- To generate a Referral Slip click Referral Slip on the Referrals for Patient window. A specific referral template can be designated for each referral. See Referral Setup. Once created, referral slips can be viewed in the Account or Chart modules.
- Click Close on the Referrals for Patient window. The referral name and phone number will list in Patient Information area.
For EHR, when a referral to a 'doctor' is entered, a Summary of Care is automatically sent to the Patient Portal and by default an automatic WebMail is also generated to notify the patient. To turn off automatic summary of care WebMails, see EHR Settings.
Add a Referral from the Edit Patient Information window
- Double-click the Patient Information grid to open the Edit Patient Information window.
- In the Referred From field, click the radio button.
- Click "Yes" if the referral is an existing patient, "No" for non-patient referrals.
- Click the referral source and click OK. The referral will appear in the Patient Information area.