The Ortho Chart can be used to keep track of Orthodontic visits in a grid format. The data in the grid only shows here and is completely separate from information in the regular patient chart. This feature can also be adapted for other purposes unrelated to orthodontics.
Enter Ortho Chart Information
- In the Chart module toolbar, click Ortho Chart.
The information that shows depends on what you have set up.
- Patient Fields: Custom Patient Fields
- Ortho Info: Patient info from the Ortho Case. Only shows if the option is turned on in Ortho Setup.
- Tabs: See Ortho Chart Setup, Add Tabs.
- Columns: See Ortho Chart Setup, Add Columns to a Tab.
- Signature Box: Only shows if a 'signature' column has been defined in Ortho Chart Setup.
All ortho chart entries are sorted by date (oldest to newest). When a tab is opened, only date entries with data in them will show. Entering data on one tab will populate all tabs with that date and data, if the tabs have corresponding columns.
The current date always shows as a new row and the grid automatically scrolls to the most recent entry.
- Double click to Patient Fields row to enter information. If a pick list field, a list of selectable options will show.
- To enter ortho chart information, select an ortho chart tab, then click in a cell. A cell will accept text or allow selection from a pick list. To add an Auto Note to a cell, highlight the cell, then click Auto Note.
- (optional) If a signature box shows, electronically sign the highlighted entry.
- Click OK to save.
Add an Entry for a Previous Date
- On the Ortho Chart window, click Add Date.
- Enter the date (MM/DD/YY).
- Click OK. A new row will show sequentially in the Ortho Chart grid.
Question: I added the wrong date accidentally, but see no way to delete it. How can I remove it?
Answer: Do not enter any data in any cell for the date, then close the Ortho Chart. When you reopen, the wrong date will no longer show.
Use the audit trail to view historical changes made on a dated entry. Both patient field and ortho chart changes are tracked. To see changes for a specific date, highlight the date under Date Service. By default, all dates are highlighted when the Audit Trail is opened, making all changes visible.
Click Close to close the window.
Validity of Electronic Signatures is determined by Open Dental. Entries with a valid signature are highlighted green and 'Valid' shows in the signature column. Invalid signatures will turn the row red and the signature column will display "Invalid". Signatures may be invalidated by:
- Changing the patient name.
- Removing the signature box in Display Fields, making changes to ortho chart fields, then adding the signature box.
- Editing the database outside of Open Dental.