Final Data Conversion
See also: Conversions, Data Conversion Fees.
Once you have verified the data in a Test Data Conversion and are ready to purchase Open Dental, Contact a conversion specialist to schedule your final conversion. We recommend calling at least one week prior to your desired final conversion date.
The final conversion can usually be done in 2 hours, but may take longer for more intricate conversions (or larger databases). Once we have done a test conversion for your office, we can give you a more exact time estimate.
How a Final Data Conversion Works
In the Test Data Conversion:
- Check and verify the data. As you go, fill in the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist and any additional software specific documents:
- EagleSoft Conversions
- Dentrix or EZ Dental Conversions
- General Conversions
Each practice is responsible for checking the test conversion data, verifying it is satisfactory, and understanding the conversion process.
- When the Pre-Conversion documents are complete, sign and return them to Open Dental. The Pre-Conversion Document and any additional software documents must be completely filled in, signed, and received by Open Dental BEFORE your final conversion. View the Pre-Conversion Checklist Overview webinar for a detailed walkthrough.
On the date of your final data conversion:
- In your old software, run an accounts receivable report and include credit balances. Keep a copy for your records.
- Then close out of your old practice management software so we can completely copy the current raw data without interference.
- We will need to connect to the server for the old practice management software server. Data will be transferred over a secure internet connection to Open Dental, the conversion will be run, then the final converted database will be transferred back to your server.
After the Final Conversion:
- Immediately after the final data conversion and before entering data in Open Dental, run the Aging of A/R report (include negative family balances). If payment plans were converted, also run the Payment Plan Report. Combine the total amounts of both reports, then compare the total to the accounts receivable report balance from your previous software to verify they are the same (step 2). Keep a copy of both
reports for your records. You will use them again.
- Set aside time to review the final conversion and perform setup and cleanup. Refer to the General Setup after a Conversion (PDF) for specific steps.
- Begin entering new transactions in Open Dental only. Do not enter new data in your old software; only use it for historical records.
If you find database inconsistencies in the final conversion data, a conversion specialist will assist whenever possible at no additional cost. However, once you begin entering data in a final conversion database, we are unable to fix inconsistencies without data loss. In rare circumstances, we can correct a problem using a copy of the data from the final conversion day. We also do not recommend dual entry (entering new data in both Open Dental and old software).
Practice Responsibilities after a Final Conversion
We work very hard to convert as much data as possible, but it is impossible to convert every byte. Some data will be lost after a conversion, and this means you will have to enter it manually.
You will have to:
- Enter some information manually.
- Set up your converted database so it functions the way your office needs it to.
- Clean up data in Open Dental to verify information is accurate, enter missing information, and correct any errors or duplications.
Reports needed from your old software:
- Accounts receivable report with credit balances included. Run this the day of your final conversion as a record of what patient balances were at the time of the conversion.
- Outstanding claim report.
After a final conversion (in Open Dental)
- Verify that the beginning account balance in Open Dental matches the ending account balance in your old software.
- If payment plans were converted, run and preview the Payment Plan Report (don't limit it by date range) to calculate the total payment plan balance.
- Total the two reports amounts, then compare this total balance to the accounts receivable balance in your prior software. If the amounts are not the same, there may be an A/R error. Contact the Open Dental conversion team to try and resolve the issue.
- Set up and clean up Open Dental so it is ready for use. Refer to General Setup after a Conversion (PDF) for specific steps:
- Begin using Open Dental. See Using Open Dental after a Conversion for workflow guidance and recommendations.
Billing: You will not be ready to run the Billing List until insurance has been verified and all outstanding claims have been entered. If you run the billing list before these steps are done, statements will not show that you have billed insurance and insurance estimates will be inaccurate. To handle billing, you have a few options:
- Option 1: Verify insurance for every patient (see Verifying Insurance), and enter all outstanding claims at once (see How to Handle Claims). Then you can run the Billing List.
- Option 2: Verify insurance and create claims a little at a time (e.g. as patients have upcoming appointments). In this case, only send statements to families who have had claims created or received in Open Dental. See Statements.