Open Dental is easy to use, and you may start using it right away, but it may take a few weeks to understand all of the basic features well. Advanced planning is essential. The following training resources are available to help you.
Webinars are free online tutorials that cover a variety of topics and are made available to all users.
We offer periodic live webinars that cover the basics of Open Dental, including a review of each module and typical patient flow. Pre-registration is required.
Pre-recorded webinars are available online to review at your convenience. A list of recommended topics is provided on our Webinars page. A full playlist of tutorials can be found on our Youtube channel.
Online Training and Setup
Customers on support and those who have scheduled a final conversion may purchase online training with a certified Open Dental trainer.
- All trainings are confirmed at least 24 hours prior to the appointment. If you have not received a confirmation, and you are within 24 hours of your training appointment, please contact us to confirm.
- Trainings in Spanish may be available upon request. Due to limited resources, these trainings cannot be guaranteed and may be cancelled with short notice.
The following setup is available for offices following a final conversion. Post Conversion Setup is already included in the conversion cost. Setup must be completed within 30 days of the final conversion or a separate fee will apply.
- Post-Conversion Setup - This dedicated setup time is highly recommended for offices who have recently converted to Open Dental. Work with a dedicated Open Dental technician who will help ease the process of acclimating to the software and ensure proper setup which prevents costly mistakes. See our Post-Conversion Checklist for a list of steps that must be completed following a conversion.
Note: If a conversion (or multiple conversions with a merge) results in a single database, only one 2-hour Post Conversion Setup is needed. If a customer has multiple offices that are converting, and each location will have its own database, each location may want to take advantage of a Post Conversion Setup.
The following types of online training are offered for all offices. See Fees for Software, Support, Services for cost.
- Basics - This training includes the same content as the Basics Webinar mentioned above, but the trainer is dedicated only to your office for the duration of the training. The training thoroughly covers patient flow and basic functionality. Basics trainings can be one-on-one or with multiple members of your staff.
- Q&A - This training dedicates time with an Open Dental trainer who will answer a list of questions generated by your office. We recommend sending your questions to us ahead of time so we can organize the session according to your needs. Q&A trainings can be one-on-one or with multiple members of your staff.
Customers on support and those who have scheduled a final conversion may purchase customized on-site trainings.
For costs, see Fees for Software, Support, Services.
- On-site Training is temporarily unavailable.
- We are unable to provide on-site training in the states of Texas or Louisiana at this time.
- Airfare and potentially other accommodations are non-refundable 24hrs after purchase.
An on-site training by a certified Open Dental trainer can help your entire staff quickly gain proficiency. This is especially valuable for offices who are new to practice management software, larger practices with complex setups, and busy practices with a short ramp-up schedule.
The following steps are required for offices planning an on-site training:
- Contact us at least two weeks in advanced of desired dates as trainer availability may vary.
- Designate a point of contact for your office.
- If converting, schedule a data conversion. Conversions must be completed prior to the on-site training.
- If converting, schedule and complete a post-conversion training. This is required prior to the on-site training.
- Discuss and confirm the training plan with the Open Dental trainer.
- Have Open Dental installed and accessible on all workstations. See our blog post: Installing Open Dental on Workstations.
- Discuss any additional expectations with the Open Dental trainer.
- When on-site training day arrives, enjoy your training!
Additional Tools and Resources