Test Data Conversion
Open Dental will provide a test data conversion at no charge, so you can see how Open Dental will look with your data. There is no set trial period with the test conversion. You can keep the test conversion for as long as you would like. The test conversion database allows you to see how Open Dental converts your data and how to use Open Dental.
You are responsible for checking the test conversions data and verifying it is satisfactory before proceeding to the final conversion. The final conversion will be nearly identical to the test conversion, so make certain you are happy with the test. Once the final conversion is delivered and you begin entering new data, there can be no further enhancements to the converted data without data loss. (In rare situations, we may be able to fix minor issues.)
Prior to a test conversion, do not begin entering real patient data in Open Dental, because this data will not be transferred to your final database. If you are selling or buying a practice, see Practice Changing Ownership to determine how to handle accounts receivable.
How Our Test Data Conversion Process Works
1. Call us to schedule an appointment for a test conversion. We recommend scheduling one to two weeks in advance of your desired conversion date.
2. Test Conversion: On your scheduled test conversion date, a conversion specialist will remote connect to the server for your current practice management software, attempt to extract the raw data from your existing software, and transfer it to a secure physical location at Open Dental using a secure SSL connection. Extracting raw data is almost always possible, but in rare situations it is not.
- If we have completed a conversion from your practice management system in the past, the test conversion takes an average of two to four hours (it may take longer). See the Data Conversion Fees page to review all programs we have converted from.
- If we have not completed a conversion from your current practice management system in the past, a conversion specialist will construct a method to convert the raw data to the first copy of test conversion. This process may take approximately three weeks.
3. Test Database Delivery: When the test conversion is ready, we will call you to install the trial version of Open Dental on your server and give you access to the test conversion data. We will also test a bridge to your x-ray imaging software, if applicable.
4. Test Conversion Discussion: For each section below, we will go over (in detail) what your office needs to do before you move forward with a final conversion.
- Total Conversion Time: We will go over what your total conversion time will be, based on how long it took us to run your test conversion.
- Converting Your Patient Account Balances: We will go over any total patient balance differences from the test conversion.
- Testing Imaging (X-ray) Software Bridge: If you are using imaging software, we will verify if it is compatible with Open Dental.
- If your office scans documents into your current software: Your office might want to have an image (scanned document) conversion. This is an optional service that costs an additional fee. We will confirm folder size and verify that your server has enough free space available to run an image conversion. If you are interested, we will provide you with a quote, based off of the folder size. This can be run on the same day as your Final Data Conversion or any day after. You will not see your historical scans inside of Open Dental until after the Image conversion has been completed. See Image Conversions for estimated fees.
5. Your office verifies the test conversion: Thoroughly check and verify your test conversion data, using the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist as a guide. View the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist Overview Video for a detailed walkthrough.
a. It is important to note that test conversion data is not ready for use in your practice.
- It does not include ADA codes or descriptions. Instead, temporary codes are substituted randomly so the test can correctly report account balances and activity, without providing copyrighted ADA codes.
- Patient addresses are limited to only 3 characters, so that you can verify patient addresses were converted correctly.
b. Compare account balances in your current software to account balances in Open Dental:
- Existing software: Run an aging of A/R report and include credit balances in the reporting options.
- Open Dental: Run the Aging of A/R Report and include negative balances. If payment plans were converted, run and preview the Payment Plan Report (don't limit by date range) to calculate the total payment plan balance. Total the two report amounts.
- Compare Open Dental's total A/R balance to the balance in your current software. If the amounts are not the same, there may be an A/R error. Contact the Open Dental conversion team to try and resolve the issue prior to the final conversion.
c. Examine patient accounts: Write down the names and/or account numbers of ten patients who have non-zero balances, preferably who also have insurance. We recommend selecting at least two patients with negative balances, if available. Select each patient in both your current software and Open Dental, then compare the patient accounts. See the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist, which will be provided to you after your initial test conversion, for more detail on this step.
d. Check and verify the data specific to your software you are converting from:
e. Check anything else that's important for you.
- If you need help locating data, please call or email a conversion specialist
6. If you discover an issue: Open Dental staff will gladly walk through a few examples of the issues, collect screen shots, attempt to fix the conversion method, and provide a new test conversion. This cycle will continue until you are satisfied with the output.
Please let us know if you have input about the conversion so we can improve the process. We make changes almost daily to the conversion application. If we can accommodate a request, it will be converted in a subsequent test. If you do not see the information you are looking for in your test conversion, the data was probably not converted.
You are responsible for checking the test conversion data and verifying it is satisfactory.
Ready to continue to the final step? Final Data Conversion