In the Treatment Plan Module, discounts can be applied to treatment planned procedures.
Discounts can be based on a percentage of the total procedure fee or a specific dollar amount. When a procedure with a discount is set complete, an adjustment is automatically added for the discount amount.
The discount feature is intended for use with cash only patients and is not currently programmed to interact with insurance. Use this feature only if you know it complies with your local laws. Laws vary between regions and Open Dental does not differentiate legal and non-legal use of the program. For example, we have been told that it may be illegal to use different fee schedules for cash only patients vs. insured patients.
In Treatment Plan Module Preferences:
- For percentage discounts, set the default discount percentage (Procedure discount percentage).
- Select the default adjustment type to use for procedure discounts (Procedure discount adj type).
Apply a Percentage Discount to Treatment Planned Procedures
- In the Treatment Plan module, select the treatment plan.
- If the discount only applies to specific procedures in the treatment plan, highlight them, or do not select procedures to apply the discount to all procedures in the treatment plan.
- Click Discount in the tool bar.
- Verify the discount percentage and change if needed. The default value is determined by the setting in Treatment Module Preferences. Enter 0 to clear all discounts.
- Click OK to apply the discount to the selected procedures.
The Discount column in the Procedures grid will reflect any discounted percentage amounts + any PPO insurance write-offs.
Apply a Specific Dollar Amount Discount to a Treatment Planned Procedure
- Double click on the procedure to open Procedure - Financial Tab.
- Enter the specific dollar amount in the Discount field.