Adding Procedure Codes is a way to create non-CDT codes. For example, create codes for supplies you dispense (mouthwash, toothpaste), when running a promotion on a procedure, or add codes used in a foreign country. The Setup security permission is required.
- In the Main Menu, click Lists, Procedure Codes.
- In the lower left, under Procedure Codes, click + New.
If entering a series of new codes, the code last added will show under Previously Entered Code for reference.
- Select the Type of the new code. Depending on the selection, some fields on the right will populate.
- Complete each field listed under Edit these fields for each new code. These fields are required.
- Procedure Code: The new code. Up to 15 numbers, letters, or symbols are allowed. All codes starting with D will be shortened to 5 characters before being included on a insurance Claim. For example, you can have two different codes for nitrous, with the difference being a letter that is added to the end of a standard D code. When sent to insurance, only the standard 5 digit code will be used.
- Description: If this code starts with D and is billed to insurance, the description will show on the claim.
- Select other procedure code options as needed. For more details, see Procedure Code.
- Do not usually bill to insurance: Code will not be included on insurance claims.
- Is Hygiene Procedure: Automatically assign the procedure to the hygiene provider when scheduling an appointment with two providers.
- Is Prosthesis: Additional prosthesis replacement information must be entered for the procedure before sending a claim.
- Paint Type: Determines how the procedure will be drawn on the Graphical Tooth Chart.
- Treatment Area: Determines the surface and tooth options available when charting the procedure.
- Category: The category this procedure code will be organized under.
- Click Add, then another to save the procedure code and keep the New Code window open.
- Click Add to save the procedure code and close the window.
- Click Close to close the window without saving the procedure code.
The new procedure code will appear in the Procedure Code List under its category.