Income transfers allow you to correct previously allocated payments (Payment and Claim Payment). Allocation of income is especially important when Track Income by Provider but is also useful when cleaning up family balance items. Use an income transfer to move payments and credit balances between clinics, providers, procedures and patients. Transfers affect income allocation only; they do not increase or decrease the total practice income.
In the Account Module, income transfers show as payment items with a Txfr code. When income is transferred between providers and family members, two line items are created; one to subtract the income from the patient/provider and a second to add the income to another patient/provider. Transferring income from procedure to procedure under the same provider only creates one line item.
Income Transfer as viewed in the account.
- We recommend always transferring income when payments are incorrectly allocated. Do not edit the incorrect payment.
- To allocate unearned income, such as prepayments, see Allocate Unearned Income.
Example 1: Guarantor has a negative balance while other family members have a balance owed. The guarantor (Andrew) paid the entire family's balance but the payment was only applied to his balance. Thus Andrew has a negative balance but Amber still shows a balance owed. To clean up the family balances, transfer Andrew's negative balance amount to Amber.
Example 2: One provider has a negative balance while other providers have a balance owed. A payment was entered for the entire family balance, but only allocated to one provider (DOC C). Thus DOC C has a negative end balance but DOC A still shows a balance owed. To allocate the income to the correct provider, transfer DOC C's negative balance amount to DOC A.
Follow the steps below to transfer income from one clinic, provider, patient, and procedure to another.
Note: Income will be allocated to procedures with this method. To manually transfer income without allocating to procedures see the Transfer Income Manually section below.
- In the Account module toolbar, click the Payment dropdown menu and select Income Transfer.
The Income Transfer Manager will open.
- Under Outstanding Charges, highlight the positive and negative charges, then click Transfer. This will create offsetting negative and positive splits to transfer the income. The negative split subtracts the amount. The positive split adds the amount.
- If there are income sources that are not listed, manually transfer the income, see below.
- The Income Sources list may include items that are paid off if they are not allocated to payments, procedures, or adjustments.
- Click OK to complete the transfer.
Transfer Income Manually
Manually transfer income when an item is not available in the Income Transfer Manager but still needs to be properly allocated or if income needs to be transferred without allocating to a procedure. This method is also used when the Account Module Preference is set to automatically open the Payment window every time you receive a claim payment.
- In the Account module toolbar, click Payment, enter 0 as the payment amount and click OK. The Payment window will open.
- Check None (Income Transfer) as the Payment Type. The Pay/Add Partials buttons will be replaced with Transfer or a Proc Breakdown button (when Enforce Valid Paysplit, Enforce Fully Account Module Preference is enabled).
- Create offsetting negative and positive splits to transfer the income. The negative split subtracts the amount. The positive split is the transfer.
Under Outstanding Charges, highlight the positive and negative charges, then click Transfer.
When Enforce Valid Paysplit, Enforce Fully is enabled, click Proc Breakdown. The Pay Split Manager will open to view a list of previously paid procedures and current outstanding charges.
- Highlight the procedures to subtract the income from. If Amt End has the correct amount, click Add Splits otherwise click Add Partials. You will be prompted to enter the amount to transfer. Enter a negative amount (to subtract from the procedure) and click OK. If more than one procedure was selected, you will be prompted to enter the amount for the next procedure.
- Highlight the procedures to transfer the income to, click Add Splits again or Add Partials. Enter a positive amount and click OK.
- Repeat until all income has been transferred and the total splits equal $0.
Alternatively, create splits by:
- In the Payment window, click Add Split, or when in the Pay Split Manager click Add Manual. Enter a negative amount, then select the patient, clinic, and provider. Click Attach to choose a procedure to disassociate the income from (only necessary if the original payment was allocated to a procedure). Click OK.
- Click Add Split or Add Manual again, enter the positive amount and select the patient, clinic, and provider to transfer the income to. (Optional) Click Attach to allocate to a procedure.
- Click OK to complete the transfer.