Text Messaging Inbox
If using Integrated Texting, all messages sent and received can be viewed in the Text Messaging inbox. From here you can also reply to text messages.
When you have unread text messages, a notification shows in the Text toolbar button highlighted orange. Click the dropdown to select an option:
- Text Messages All: Open the inbox and default to all messages (both sent and received).
- Text Messages Received: Open the inbox and default to received messages only.
- Text Messages Sent: Open the inbox and default to sent messages only.
The inbox will open and text messages that meet the default filter criteria show.
Click on a text to view a log of sent and received messages for the patient on the right.
- Bold messages indicate unread received messages.
- Click on a text to view a log of sent and received messages for the patient on the right.
- DateTime: Indicates the date and time an outbound text message was sent or an inbound text message was received.
- Status: Options for sent messages are delivered, pending, failed. Options for received messages are read and unread. For failed messages see Integrated Texting Troubleshooting.
Right-click on a text message for other options:
- Change Pat: Change the patient attached to a received message.
- Mark Read/Unread: Change the status of a received message.
- Hide/Unhide: Remove or show the message in the list. Text messages cannot be deleted.
- Go to Patient: Make the selected patient active.
- Block Number: Block incoming text messages from specific mobile numbers. The sender will see the text message as delivered, but it will not appear in Open Dental. Blocked messages cannot be recovered.
Attaching messages to patients: Messages are automatically linked to a patient when phone numbers are an exact match. To attach a message to a patient, right click the message and select Change Pat.
- If multiple family members have matching numbers, it will attach to the guarantor.
- If multiple patients across two or more families have the same number, or there is no patient with a matching number, the patient will be 'Unassigned'.
- If there are multiple phone number matches, #Phone Matches indicates how many patients have a matching phone number.
Filter options: If you change filter options, click Refresh to update the list.
Date From/To: Only show text messages in a date range.
Patient: Select which patient's text messages show.
- Current: The currently selected patient. If the patient is part of a family, the guarantor is selected.
- Find: Select a different patient.
- All: Show texts from all patients.
Hidden/Received/Sent: Show hidden, received, and/or sent messages.
Clinic dropdown: If using Clinics, filter by clinic.
Respond to a Text Message
To quickly send a text message in response to a received message:
- Highlight the message.
- Enter the text message in the text box on the lower right.
- Click Send.