General text messages can be sent from Open Dental to both patients and non-patients. Before sending, first sign up for Integrated Texting and set monthly limits.
- Before sending a text message to a patient, enter their wireless number on the Edit Patient Information Window and set their Text OK status to Yes.
- Text messages are not a secure method of sending PHI.
In Open Dental:
- Click Text in the Main Toolbar. If a patient's Text OK setting is currently No, a message will prompt you to change the setting to Yes. Click Yes to change the setting and proceed.
- Select Patient or Another Person.
- If patient, verify the patient name and number. To select a different patient, click Find. Phone number automatically populates with the patient's wireless phone number. If another person, enter the wireless phone number.
- Enter the text message.
- Click Send.
A commlog entry is automatically generated for text messages sent to a patient. Set the default commlog type for text messages in Definitions: Commlog Types.