Customizing Chart Views
In the Chart module, Show tab, set up different views for the grid in the lower right of the Chart module (often called the Progress Notes) and define what information shows in each view. Some selections also affect what shows in the Graphical Tooth Chart.
Open Dental comes with a Default View set up. We recommend you rename it Progress Notes or create a new view called Progress Notes. You can also create other views that show or hide specific information. The view listed first is the default view every time you start Open Dental. Switch between views using the function keys (F1-F12) on your keyboard or by clicking on a row. Use the Up/Down arrows to reorder views.
When you highlight a Chart View, the grid switches and the view's default options show on the left. These values can be changed without affecting the default view settings. If you do change an option, Custom View will show under the date.
You can filter the chart view to items in a specific date or date range. This is commonly done when you need to print a single day or a year. Click [...] next to All Dates.
Click on an option or enter the start and end date. Click OK.
Add or Edit a Chart View
- Double click a chart view to edit or click Add to create a new view.
- For Description, enter the name of the view. This will also show as the grid title.
- Under Dates Showing, select the date range of items that will show. Options are All, Today, Yesterday, This Year, Last Year.
- Select the items that will show in the view. These will be the default values but many can also be changed on the main Show tab without permanently affecting the view settings. Click All to quickly select all boxes or None to quickly clear all boxes.
Procedures: If procedures will show, specify which Procedure statuses to show in the grid. This also affects what shows on the Graphical Tooth Chart.
- Treat Plan: Procedures with a TP status.
- Completed: Procedures with a C status.
- Existing: Procedures with a EO or EC status.
- Referred: Procedures with a R status.
- Conditions: Procedures with a Cn status.
- Proc Notes: Show Procedure Notes with procedures.
Object Types: In addition to procedures, mark what types of objects should show in the view.
Selected Teeth: Show only procedures for teeth selected in the Graphical Tooth Chart. Selecting this box deselects other object type boxes.
Audit: Switch to 'Audit' mode to include deleted procedures (status of D) and deleted sheets in the view. Procedures can't be edited in Audit mode. Deleted sheets can be restored by double clicking to open the Fill Sheet window, then clicking Restore.
Is TP View: Adds a Treatment Plan checkbox to the Enter Treatment tab. The Treatment Plan checkbox allows you to view and create treatment plans from the Chart module. Treatment Planning in the Chart Module.
In version 15.4.5 or 16.1.2 and greater, the Is TP View box is checked by default when you create a new view. It is also checked in existing views if you update and no existing views have the box checked.
- Define which columns of information will show for each item. To move a field to/from Fields Showing and Available Fields, highlight it, then click the right or left arrow.
- Fields Showing lists the columns currently in the view, in the order each column will show (from left to right).
- Available Fields lists all columns that can be added to the view but currently are not.
To edit a Fields Showing column header or width, double click it, enter the information, then click OK.
New Description: The column header.
Column Width: Enter any number equal to or greater than the Minimum Width. The minimum width is based on the number of characters in this field.
- Click OK on the Chart View Edit window to save the view.
Some FieldNames are self explanatory. For those that are not, below is a brief description.
- Date: Date the item was created.
- Time: The exact time an object type was created. This option will not show procedure times.
- Th: Tooth Number
- Surf: Tooth Surface
- Dx: Diagnosis
- Description: Description of the appointment, procedure, etc.
- Stat: Procedure status
- Prov: The attached Provider.
- Amount: The procedure's billable fee.
- User: The user logged on to Open Dental when the item was entered.
- ADA Code: The procedure code.
- User: The user who last created or edited the procedure's Notes.
Indicates when an item (e.g. consent form, procedure) has been Electronically Signed or digitally signed.
- Priority: The procedure's priority level.
- Date TP: Day the procedure was added to the treatment plan.
- Date Entry: Day the procedure was entered.
- Prognosis: The procedure's prognosis.
- Length: Appointment length.
- Abbr: Procedure code abbreviation.
- Locked: Indicates if a procedure has been locked using the Procedure Locking Tool.
- HL7 Sent: Indicates if a procedure has been sent via HL7.
- Clinic: The procedure's clinic.
Logic of Row Order in Progress Notes
The Progress notes is a very complex grid with many different kinds of objects in it. Starting with version 12.0, the following logic is used:
- All rows sorted by date (but not time).
- Within each date, rows sorted by type (except, starting in version 12.4, commlogs and sheets are treated as the same type and will be intermingled).
- Within procedures of same date, sort by status,
then tooth number, and finally procedure code.
- Other object types that are not procedures (like commlogs, sheets, etc), which have the same date, are further sorted by time.