Security: Logging On/Off
To protect data and prevent misuse, every user should be required to log on with a unique user name and password, then log off when they leave the workstation. See Security to set up user profiles and assign permissions.
Note: To set up single sign on (LDAP), see Setting up Single Sign On / LDAP.
When Open Dental starts, the Log On window should open. If you are not prompted to log on when you start the program, the Admin user does not have a password setup, thus all users are logging in as the Admin.
The screen differs based on whether the setting for 'Manually enter logon credentials' is on or off.
- Off: Click on your User name, enter your password, then click OK.
- On: Manually enter your User name and password, then click OK.
- If a user's current password does not meet password criteria, he may be required to create a new password that does. See Security for password criteria settings.
- To force a user to change their password they first time they use it to login, check 'Require Password Reset' in the user's Security User Profile.
- After five consecutive failed attempts to log on, a user will temporarily be locked out of the account for five minutes or until a user with Security Admin privileges manually unlocks the account (See Security User Profiles).
To log off manually, in the main menu, click Log Off.
Set automatic log off options on the main
If you log off and there are unsaved changes, a warning message will show. If automatic log off is turned on, and you manually click Log Off, any unsaved changes will be lost, and no warning message will show.