Recall and Confirmation List Setup
Default options for the Recall List and Confirmation List are determined by settings on the Setup Recall and Confirmation window.
- Customize message text in manual recall reminders, manual confirmations, and Web Sched notifications.
- Set defaults when printing postcards.
- Set logic for using email as a method of delivery.
- Set default options for the Recall List (status, recall types, grouping, date range, reminder time intervals).
- Set defaults options for the Confirmation List (status).
Note: Open Dental has two eServices that help automate recall and confirmation management. Click a link for more information.
- Web Sched Recall: Email automated or manual recall reminders with a clickable link that allows patients to schedule their own recall appointments online, reducing your daily workload.
- eConfirmations: Send automated text message and/or email confirmations to remind patients about an upcoming appointment and allow the patient to e-confirm.
To open the Setup Recall and Confirmation window, in the main menu, click Setup, Appointments, Recall.
To set up eReminders or eConfirmations, click Automated eReminder & eConfirmation Setup.
These options apply to both the Recall List and Confirmation List
Customize Message Text: The Messages grid lists the various subject lines and message text sent used for recall reminders and confirmations. The third column gives general guidance about the message and its use. The other columns give additional information:
- Remind#: When the reminder will be used (first reminder, second reminder, etc.).
- Mode: The method used to deliver the message (Email, Postcard, WebSched, Text).
- Message: The text itself.
To change message text:
- Double click on a row.
- Enter the subject or message text. Insert variables as needed.
- Click OK to save.
Variables: Text with brackets indicates variables that pull information directly from the database.
Example: [NameF], you are due for your regular dental check-up on [DueDate] might look like this in the message: John, you are due for your regular dental check-up on 01/12/2015.
- NameFL: Patient first and last name.
- NameF: Patient first name only.
- FamilyList: List first name and recall due date of all family members (if Group Families is selected).
- DueDate: The date the recall is due.
- OfficePhone: Phone number of the practice.
- URL (Web Sched only): The unique link the patient will click to schedule their appointment.
There is a 160 character limit. If using Integrated Texting, a carriage return adds two characters.
The following characters are allowed: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, . , : ; ! ? ( ) ~ = + - _ \ / @ $ # & % If other characters are used the message will fail.
If using CallFire, adding a carriage return (Enter) to the message will cause it to be cut off at the carriage return when the message is sent.
Note: Regular email and text messaging are not secure methods of sending PHI. See Encryption of Data in Transit.
Postcard Options: These options affect printing of postcards.
- Postcards per sheet (1, 3, or 4): The number of postcards that print per page.
- Show return address: Check the box to print the Practice's return address.
- Adjust Postcard Position in Inches: Change the offset when printing.
Use email if: Determines when 'email' is the method of delivery for a recall or confirmation.
- Has Email Address: If a patient has an email address entered (Edit Patient Information), and no other preferred method is selected for confirmations or recall, email will be their default method.
- Email is preferred contact method: Email will be a patient's default method only when set as the preferred confirmation or recall method.
These options determine who shows in the recall list and the status applied when a recall reminder is sent.
Status for mailed / e-mailed recall: The recall status applied when a recall postcard or email is sent. See Recall. Customize options in Definitions, Recall/Unsch Status.
Types to show in recall list: Highlight the Recall Types that show in the recall list. To highlight multiple types, click and drag, or press Ctrl while clicking.
Note: Prophy type covers both adult and child prophies.
Recall List Default View: Select default options on the Recall List window.
- Group Families: Determines whether the Group Families box is checked/unchecked. When checked, family members are grouped together.
- Days Past: Determines the default Start Date. The farther back you go, the fewer patients will slip through the cracks. Once you get your recall under control, consider leaving it blank to include all previous patients, however, this cannot be blank if using Web Sched Recall.
- Days Future: Determines the default End Date.
Select one option.
- Exclude from list if recall scheduled: Do not include patients who have a scheduled recall appointment.
- Exclude from list if any future appt: Do not include patients who have any scheduled appointment.
Also show in list if # of days since: Set the reminder interval. Each patient will first show up on the list when they are due for recall. Once a reminder (Commlog of type Recall) is sent, they will disappear from the list until they are due for their next reminder. The following options set the reminder criteria:
- Initial Reminder: The number of days from the first reminder until the second reminder is triggered (e.g. 90 days from first reminder). This cannot be zero if using Web Sched Recall.
- Second (or more) Reminder: The number of days from the second reminder until the third and subsequent reminders are triggered (182 days from the second reminder). This cannot be zero if using Web Sched Recall.
- Max # of Reminders: The maximum number of reminders before a patient is removed from the list. Leave the box empty to set no maximum.
Status for emailed / text messaged confirmation: The confirmation status applied to the appointment when a confirmation is sent from the Confirmation List. Customize options in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.