Printer Setup and Troubleshooting
Use Printer Setup to set default print options for the current workstation. You can leave all settings to the default, or you can control where specific items are are printed.
- In the main menu, click File, Printers.
By default all categories that allow you to set a default printer are listed. To instead only view a simple version of this window, check 'This is too complicated. Show me the simple interface' (see below).
- For each category, select the default printer.
Default: The printer used for all categories that have 'default' as the selection.
Appointments: The printer used when printing appointments from the Appointments module.
Claims: The printer used for claims.
Labels - Sheet: The printer used for sheets of Labels.
Labels - Single: The printer used for single Labels.
Postcards: The printer used for postcards.
Rx's: The printer used for Prescriptions.
Controlled Rx's: The printer used for prescriptions that are marked as a controlled substance.
Multi Rx's: The printer used for multiple prescriptions on one page (Rx Manage).
Statements: The printer used for statements (Billing)
Treatment Plans and Perio: The printer used for Treatment Plans or the Perio Chart.
The printer used for Receipts.
- To show a prompt window every time you print, check Prompt next to a category. This allows you to verify printer and select other options prior to printing. When unchecked, items are printed directly.
Below are common printer issues and troubleshooting methods. Before starting the troubleshooting process:
- Check that adequate paper is in all paper trays and there is sufficient ink.
- Make sure you have selected the correct printer (It is the default in Printer Setup above, or is selected on the Prompt window).
Problem: Unable to print from Open Dental or Windows.
Solution: This is likely an issue with your printer drivers or Windows configuration.
- Make sure your printer drivers are up-to-date and compatible with your Windows version.
- Restart the printer.
- If that doesn't work, try restarting the computer.
- If neither work, this is likely a printer setup issue. You may need to reinstall the printer drivers.
Problem: Can print from Window, but unable to print from Open Dental.
- Exit Open Dental, then run Open Dental as Administrator.
- If that doesn't work, and you have been able to print from Open Dental with the current printer previously, try restarting your computer.
- If that doesn't work, or your printer has never worked with Open Dental, Contact us.
Problem: Open Dental stops responding when attempting to print.
- If the printer is a network printer, make sure you have access to the server location.
- Restart the computer. If the communication between Windows and Open Dental is bad, this should fix it.
- If still not responding, Contact us.
Problem: Brother printer is printing from wrong paper tray.
Solution: There is no known solution.