Getting to know the ins and outs of Open Dental takes some time. Open Dental is flexible and customizable, so there are many choices in how to use the software and which features to implement. Below are recommendations for how to begin using Open Dental after a data Conversion.
Use the Post-Conversion Checklist as guide for setting up a freshly converted Open Dental database.
Patient Information and Appointments
We recommend starting with patients who have an upcoming appointment.
Before the Scheduled Appointment
- Select the patient.
- In the Family Module:
- Verify patient information.
- Check insurance plan information.
- Verify the recall type (Prophy vs Perio).
- In the Chart Module, chart existing treatment and enter medical information.
- In the Appointments Module, verify that the appointment exists and the correct treatment planned procedures are attached.
During the Appointment - Back Office
- Update existing treatment and patient information.
- Set the appointment complete. Attach any added procedures.
- Chart needed treatment, if any, and prioritize it in the Treatment Plan.
- If treatment is needed, enter a Planned Appointment for the next appointment. This appointment is used by the front office to help with scheduling.
During the Appointment - Front Office
- In the Appointments Module, schedule the patient's next appointment.
- If no treatment is needed, click Make Recall to schedule a Recall appointment.
- If treatment is needed, click Make Appointment, then select the planned appointment and copy it to pinboard to schedule it.
- Complete the patient's appointment.
- In the Account Module, enter patient payments and create insurance claims. Print statements and receipts as needed.
- Confirm upcoming appointments.
- Receive and enter insurance payments. As family account balances reach zero, cleanup transaction history converted from the old software by transferring income. Family balances that are zero at the time of conversion do not need income transfers.
- Attach payments to a deposit for balancing. Use the Payments report to compare.
- Check for unsent claims and send them.
- Review procedure notes for completion.
End of Day Reports
- Production and Income Report (More Options)
- Daily Payments Report (More Options)
- Daily Adjustments Report
- Daily Write-off Reports
- Appointments Report (summary of the day's appointments).
Other Useful Features
- Daily Procedures Report: A report of all procedures done for a date range.
- Routing Slips: Print all at once or one at a time.
- Billing List: Run daily, monthly, or per the practice preference.
Open Dental has several tools to use to manage appointments and keep the schedule full, thus keeping production high. See Appointment Lists.
- Recall and recall reminders: Easily schedule and track recall appointments.
- Confirmations: Track patients who have upcoming appointments and action taken.
- Use the Planned Tracker to track planned appointments.
- Unscheduled List: A temporary place to send appointments that need follow-up (e.g., broken, no shows, cancelled).
- ASAP List: A list of patients who are scheduled, but want to come in earlier if an opening is available.