Patient Portal: Online Patient Payments
Patients can make online payments via the Patient Portal using X-Charge.
Note: Update to version 16.3 or greater for void and return support within Open Dental.
To process a void or return in version 16.2, launch the X-Web application from the desktop. Once complete, manually enter the void or return in Open Dental.
How it works:
- Enable online payments for the practice/clinic in Open Dental (see below).
- Patient makes payment (with or without logging into the portal). See What the Patient Sees.
- In Open Dental, staff is alerted that online patient payments are pending.
- Staff processes patient payment in Open Dental.
This pages includes instructions for the following:
Enable Online Patient Payments
- See X-Charge Setup to enable online patient payments and enter the X-Web account settings.
- Select MakePayments as a portal feature in Patient Portal Setup.
- (optional) Add a link to online payments from your website. Use the URL of the patient portal. When clicked it will open the portal login window.
Process Online Patient Payments
Payments that have been made via the portal should be processed in Open Dental. This allows you to make payment splits, attach procedures, and/or attach the payment to a payment plan.
When the logged in user is subscribed to the OnlinePaymentsPending Alert, the Alerts menu item in the main menu will indicate when online patient payments are 'pending'. The menu item will highlight yellow when the alert is new and unread.
- A 'pending' payment is a payment that has not been marked 'processed' in Open Dental. The charge itself is immediately processed with the credit card provider when the patient makes the payment.
- To mark the alert as 'read', select Mark As Read. This will reset the Alert () count and and turn off the yellow highlight.
- To open the Pending Line Payments window, click Open Pending Online Payments. This will also mark the alert as 'read', reset the Alert () count, and turn off the yellow highlight.
- Credit cards token information for online payments is safely saved in Credit Card Manage.
To process payments:
- Click Alerts, Pending Online Payments, Open Pending Online Payments, or click Tools, Pending Online Payments.
To update the list of Payments Needing Processing, click Refresh. To open a patient's account, right click on a row, then click Go to Account.
- If using Clinics, select the clinic. Only payments for the selected clinic will show. Users can only view payments for clinics they have access to.
- Double click a pending payment to open the Payment window.
- Review the payment information.
- Create pay splits if desired.
- Check the Mark as Processed box.
- Click OK to process the payment.
- When all pending payments are processed, click Close.
Manage XWeb Transactions
All transactions made using XWeb can be viewed in Open Dental. From here you can also process voids and returns.
In the main menu, click Tools, XWeb Transactions.
All transactions that match the entered From/To Date and selected clinic will list.
- From/To Dates: Determines the date range of transactions. The default date range is today.
- Clinic: If using Clinics, select the clinic. Only transactions for the selected clinic will show. Users can only view transactions for clinics they have access to.
- Right click on a transaction to select other options:
Go To Account: Open the patient's Account module.
Open Payment: Open the Payment window for this transaction.
Void Payment: Void the transaction.
Process Return: Issue a refund.
Void a Payment
If a transaction is eligible for a void, the payment can be voided from the XWeb Transactions window or the Payment window.
- From the XWeb Transactions window, right click on the transaction and select Void Payment.
From the Payment window, click Void.
- A confirmation message will open.
- Click Yes to process the void.
If unsuccessful, an error will show. The most common cause of a failure is because the transaction is not longer within the eligible time frame. In these cases, process a return instead.
Process a Return
To issue a refund to a patient, follow these steps:
- From the XWeb Transactions window, right click on the transaction and select Process Return.
From the Payment window, click Return.
The card information will auto populate and cannot be changed.
- Enter the amount of the return and a payment note.
- Click OK.
Problem: In the portal, patients do not see the Balance Est and Make Payment button.
Solutions: First make sure a statement has been generated. If that is not the reason, check that online payments are setup correctly (Check X-Web settings and make sure payments are enabled).
Problem: OTK Creation Failed: Authentication Error
Solution: Check your X-Web credentials in X-Charge
Problem: A void fails.
Solution: The transaction may not be eligible for a void. Process a return instead.